[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pic related is all the books that I've been given/bought/stolen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: boks.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
boks.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
pic related is all the books that I've been given/bought/stolen that I haven't read, which should I read first /lit/?
>>
>>8234932

kokoro

then the witty intro and some rumi alongside it if you feel like taking breaks
>>
>>8234939
Why kokoro anon? my friend told me it was about a college student trying to seduce a distinguished older man.
>>
>>8234932
Read Abe first, his stories are rather quick reads and immensely satisfying to read

The box man has a good premise, too
>>
>>8234939
seconding kokoro. not for any good reason, but its the only one of those that i've read and i really enjoyed it.
>>
>>8234954

i personally haven't read it, m8. i've just heard good things about the prose.
>>
>>8234932
You're trying too hard to get started. The people that start with enormous stacks of the greats ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS fail. You just need one good book.
>>
>>8234954
Your friend is fucking with you or just a poor reader.
>>
>>8235104
I'm not trying to "start" anything senpai. I cleaned up my place and these are the books I had laying around that I haven't read.
>>
>>8234932
Clearly you have to read that book about alien ghosts.
>>
Demian is the only one of those I've read. I would highly recommend it, but I would also suggest you first read at least Siddhartha and probably also Steppenwolf (both also by Hesse) if you haven't already. Those two provide a broad intro to many of the themes and ideas that Hesse explores in his other works and should allow you to appreciate Demian more than you would otherwise.
>>
>>8235175
hi pseud

demian was written before siddhartha and steppenwolf. demian shoudl be read first as an introduction to others, not vice versa.
>>
>>8235183

I know the order in which they were written. The chronology of an author's bibliography doesn't necessarily indicate which is a better intro to the ideas that pervade their works. Siddhartha and Steppenwolf deal with Hesse's central concepts in a far more basic and broad manner.

Immanuel Wallerstein published his three large volumes on The Modern World-System starting in the mid 1970s and his Modern World-Systems Analysis: An Introduction in 2004. Do you think it would make more sense to read those in chronological order, too?
>>
>>8235208
you're completely wrong. you also probably stopped at the meme books (siddhartha and steppenwolf) and know nothing about how hesse developed as an author or what his "central concepts" even are.
>>
>>8235212
What a surprise. Your ad hominem is completely wrong. I've read everything of his that is published in English with the one exception of Magister Ludi.

Anyway, care to actually explain why you think I'm wrong? Siddhartha is basically a beginner's guide to the life of the Buddha and dominant concepts in the Buddhist tradition. Steppenwolf offers a glimpse into notions of dichotomies, particularly in regards to identity and existentialism, and transcending them. Demian goes much deeper into these ideas with discussions of concepts like Abraxas.

Do you want to provide some substantive argument now, or will you just continue to hurl unfounded insults like the average /lit/izen?

Also, do you care to answer my question in the last post regarding Wallerstein's works or will you at least concede that your original point that you should always read an author's works in the order that they were written/published is utter bullshit?
>>
File: tumblr_nproejN81d1rox94fo1_1280.jpg (736 KB, 800x1285) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nproejN81d1rox94fo1_1280.jpg
736 KB, 800x1285
If on a winters night a traveller.
It's my favorite book.

Pic related is how you will feel after finishing it
>>
How to steal books?
>>
File: 20160703_024314.jpg (584 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160703_024314.jpg
584 KB, 2048x1152
Since this thread is already here might as well ask.

Which should I read first?
>>
>>8235235
Always Moby Dick.
>>
>>8235242
Has Moby Dick been pin-pointed by the religious right as part of the gay agenda, or does it simply still pass them by.
>>
>>8235235
Haven't read moby sick, but the other two are good. Catch-22 has great literary merit
>>
>>8235235
Idk
>>
>>8235234
>take book
>walk out

>or pirate them
>>
>>8235104

>enormous stacks of the greats

lol

are we looking at the same pic
>>
>>8234932
>Grayling for Wittgenstein
*tippytiptiptips* my dude.
>>
>>8235235
What edition is moby dick? Are the pages black?
>>
>>8235413
No
>>
>>8235133
Seconded
>>
Moo
>>
The Savage Detectives
>>
File: Calvino.jpg (202 KB, 1149x1100) Image search: [Google]
Calvino.jpg
202 KB, 1149x1100
Calvino. Always start with Calvino.
>>
File: books.png (64 KB, 1148x606) Image search: [Google]
books.png
64 KB, 1148x606
>>8234932
> all the books that I've been given/bought/stolen that I haven't read

pleb
>>
>>8237924
>downloading 13000 ebooks
You're a really cool guy.
>>
>>8237924

How many of them have you read so far?

p.s: The epic of gilgamesh is pretty interesting. I'm glad someone has it in his/her list
>>
>>8237924
what torrent collection did you dl?
I would like to do so as well
>>
File: Solares-13.png (75 KB, 532x351) Image search: [Google]
Solares-13.png
75 KB, 532x351
>>8236311
>>8234932
Op, you must read The Savage Detectives first. When I was just getting into reading, 18yo, still just somewhat had a casual interest in literature, I read that book and have never been so turned on by something. Like somebody said, Well off you go then, here's what reading great writing feels like. Seek more of it. Don't stop until you can do this.

The second section of TSD is one of the most impressive pieces of writing I to this day have encountered. Svetlana Alexievich won the nobel prize for her take on polyphony, but hers was nonfiction. And of course, Bolaño did base his characters on real people. But something about it being fictitious is doubly impressive. To achieve 50+ different voices, all unique, all expressive of their individual humanities, while at the same time prismatically reflecting Belano (Bolaño)--each character having him appear in their lives, so briefly as well-- is to me the most incredible feat I've witnessed in fiction.

And sections 1 and 3 are just as fucking good man. What a goddamned easy character to love Juan Garcia Madero is. The novel begins and ends brilliantly, and infinitely.

As is appropriate to a fragment of the third section, I'm posting a picture that describes the novel's structure fantastically.
>>
>>8238516
Not proud actually. Took a long time to organize, and thinking about it, it's kind of a waste of time. And disk space, this folder alone is 71 GB in size.

But the real number is probably around 12500 books. Some are duplicates in different file formats that I didn't want to delete or the same books in other languages.

>>8238559
Less than hundred, certainty.

>>8238584
I've been hoarding them from various sources, especially Libgen. I got maybe two, three thousand books from different torrents, mostly technical and academic. A while ago there was a torrent with maybe 1500 books from Routledge and another with around 700 files from Cambridge UP.
>>
>>8234932
Start with Proust, then you'll feel like throwing the rest of those books away.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.