[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What version of Bibliotheca of Pseudo-Apollodorus should I read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: B7f2_OECEAAyijj.jpg (49 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
B7f2_OECEAAyijj.jpg
49 KB, 329x500
What version of Bibliotheca of Pseudo-Apollodorus should I read? Pic related is only 300 pages long, while the Harvard Volumes are around 900 pages combined.
>>
>>8234389
This just shows how none of you fagots actually read the fucking Greeks if you can't even answer me a single question about a book ABOUT FUCKING GREEK ANCIENT MYTHOLOGY.

Go fuck yourself you pseudo fags.
>>
File: IMG_5056.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5056.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>8234389
>>8234420
>9 minutes until maximum butthurt

Regardless of that I'll help as best I can. I read the OWC edition (your pic) and finished just a few days back. Only ~140 pages of it is actual content, with a ~30 page intro, and ~80 pages of notes.

Also I didn't realize which Harvard edition you were talking about until I google it and realized you're talking about the 2 volume Loeb set. I'm gonna quickly get these comments out of the way:

>not knowing what Loebs are
>calling Loebs "Harvard Volumes"
>calling other people pseuds
>laughinggirls.jpg

With that said, here are your real answers: Loebs (the little Harvard books, green for Greek, red for Roman) retain the original text (Latin/Greek) on each left page, with the English translation facing it. So the "900 page" volumes you saw are actually 450 pages of actual English text. On top of that, the books themselves are very small and have generous margins (pic related for a Loeb compared to the OWC Apollodorus), so usually 1 Loeb page will be ~1.5-2 Oxford/Penguin/Modern Library pages, and with only half the pages being in English, every page of a normal book ends up being 3-4 pages in a Loeb. Loebs are designed to be expensive as fuck because there are no other publishers with English translations that preserve the Greek/Latin original text. Also Loebs have no end notes, minimal footnotes, and varying but usually very brief introductions, so there's not much to help you along the way as you read. So they're usually the way to go if and only if (a) you are reading the original language, or (b) literally nobody else publishes the book you want, because although they are pretty, they are expensive as fuck especially for larger works which get split into a bunch of volumes, and they almost never go on sale.

In short, unless you can and want to read it in Greek, or want to spend $50 for less content when you can spend $10, buy Oxford.

PS This was a very boring read. Informative but painfully dry.
>>
>>8234674
>usually 1 Loeb page will be ~1.5-2 Oxford/Penguin/Modern Library pages

I fucked that up. It's the reverse: 1 regular page will be 1.5-2 Loeb pages. My bad.
>>
>>8234389
>>8234420
>hurr durr i am the center of the world answer my question in 9 mins you shit
Reading might not be for you after all
>>
>>8234674
A literal 10/10 post, holy fuck.
>>
File: truth.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
>>8234692
You're my property.

>>8234674
Thanks, great post.
>>
File: flwrdg.jpg (38 KB, 480x478) Image search: [Google]
flwrdg.jpg
38 KB, 480x478
>>8234420
>answer me
>answer me
>answer me
>answer me
>PSEEEEUUUUUDS!!

heehaw!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.