[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Theology and Dogma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1750x1724) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1750x1724
Hey /lit/, where should I start with Christian (specifically, Catholic) theology, church order, and other topics pertaining to the Church? I remember seeing a pic on her once that broke it down into three or four topics, each with intro/middle/advanced readings.

All help is appreciated.
>>
that world is gone forever
>>
Paul-->Origen-->augustine-->aquinas
>>
Find some schools with good theology programs and then look at their online course descriptions. When you find the ones that are interesting to you go to the school's library webpage and enter the class number/s and it will give you the required reading for the class.
>>
File: 1465864963019.png (3 MB, 2560x2336) Image search: [Google]
1465864963019.png
3 MB, 2560x2336
>>8234074
Zis one?
>>
File: 1465693070631.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2900) Image search: [Google]
1465693070631.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2900
>>8234074
I've got this one too.

I'm afraid I can't really comment on the quality of these charts though.

A seemingly knowledgeable fella also recommended the following ad a resource as well:

http://brandonvogt.com/best-catholic-books-of-all-time/
>>
>>8234385
>>8234402
Both these are great! Thanks!
>>
>>8234402
>>8234385
not OP but those look killer. I'm starting to read the bible and this is much appreciated.
>>
>>8234385
>>8234402

>was actually a theology student

Those lists are generally pretty good, but there are also some pretty questionable choices. For instance, C.S. Lewis should be entirely foregone with the exception of his Great Divorce.

Newman is excellent, but why was his Apologia Pro Vita Sua included over his Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine? The former holds historical appeal at best, while the latter is important in distinguishing the Catholic tradition from the Protestant sects.

Also

>The Cloud of Unknowing

lol why

There are some important works which I would include, which are especially relevant to the development of doctrine.

The Christian Tradition series by Jaroslav Pelikan. Extremely based.

The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787) by Leo Donald Davis.

These two works are an excellent introduction to the historical context behind how and why Christian doctrine developed as it did.
>>
File: Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg (2 MB, 2396x4680) Image search: [Google]
Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg
2 MB, 2396x4680
>>8234074
>>8234376
Theology has actually fallen pretty low as a course in many places.
>>
>>8234943
How did Lewis become so popular? Even GD is rather mediocre.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.