[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you read books /lit/? Do you take notes, re-read, read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
How do you read books /lit/?

Do you take notes, re-read, read essays?

Do you just read the book and move on?

What's the best way to experience a work?
>>
>do you just read the book and move on?
This.
>>
>>8232835
>Do you just read the book and move on?

yes sometimes i write a little review for myself
>>
Do any of you guys read out loud like Bloom recommends?
>>
>>8232835
>Do you just read the book and move on?

If it sucks, I move on. If it's a great book, I'll never move on from it.
>>
File: cutie__3_by_nad4r-d9lrsdr.jpg (268 KB, 935x1400) Image search: [Google]
cutie__3_by_nad4r-d9lrsdr.jpg
268 KB, 935x1400
>>8232835
If it's a good book, I'll re-read and do copywork of passages that are legit patrician prose.
>>
depends on the book.
If it's something easy, I'll just plow through it and move on
If it's something giving me trouble I'll reread, and sometimes look up summaries if I'm completely lost.
Until I'm comfortable with what I know.
>>
If its easy i just read the book quick, gathering what i can from it in short pauses.

In harder books i will study lines i read until i understand them. I will also highlight sentences i find remarkable or summarizing of a point the author means to make. Sometimes i will take notes explaining a thought of the author's in plainer english or connecting it to a different thought of mine or the authors. Through the day, while not reading, i will think about what i have read.
>>
>>8234241
Didn't know Bloom recommends doing that. I only do it on certain occasions. Most often I do it frequently with poetry when I want to hear the rhythm, consonance, assosance, etc. out loud, and rarely prose passages I find particularly beautiful. I also find myself doing it subconsciously if I am having trouble determining the meaning or significance of a line or passage even after re-reading it once or twice; I guess it helps me to concentrate more and to suss things out.
>>
>>8234516
chapped lips 3/10
>>
>>8234241

Yes. I have read all of Homer aloud. I have read pride and prejudice aloud as well

>Tfw you have no young patrician son to read aloud to before bed
>>
If it's theology or philosophy or the Bible, I generally take notes. If it's poetry or a play or a novel, I right down quotes from it sometimes, but otherwise I just read it.
>>
>>8234241
No. At the most I'll read a voice in my head if the prose or verse is constructed for sound.
>>
File: dante and virgil.jpg (151 KB, 823x1024) Image search: [Google]
dante and virgil.jpg
151 KB, 823x1024
>read
>underline sections worth revisiting
>do that
>read reviews, reception, essays, and criticisms

sometimes I just read, sometimes I use summaries after sections in the case of faulkner etc. where, even if i'm reading slowly and closely, i can't rely on myself to catch everything. it's all real intuitive and based on feel, as useless as that is to say.
>>
>>8234623
This.
>>
I like to read and save lines,quotes I find good or witty. Have a small collection from them.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.