[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/? Do you push through reading a book that you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: BtZSvWkIgAADsor.jpg (36 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
BtZSvWkIgAADsor.jpg
36 KB, 600x390
Hello /lit/? Do you push through reading a book that you're not interested in or do you just stop reading it?
>>
If I don't see finishing the book as rewarding then I stop.
>>
If you want to know whether you should, I would suggest you try to finish it out. There's a reason you picked it up in the first place and you never know how it will turn out.

If you want my experience, basically what
>>8232812
said.

To be more specific on how I determine if I think it will be "rewarding":

It depends. How "important" it is in terms of "canon" or influence on later works/writers? How much do I dislike it and why? How many other things am I reading at the time (if there's a couple others, I'll end up spending more time on those and just won't get back to it). Why did I choose to read that (is it part of a certain era or movement or on a particular topic I'm reading a lot of at the time? A work by an author who I've read and enjoyed other works? Was it recommended by someone?)? Etc.

In general, I try to finish everything I start but sometimes I just don't, especially if it's not related to other things I'm reading.

Most recently I was really forcing myself to get through Johnny Got His Gun, but kept going only because it was recommended by someone who I had developed a pretty close relationship with and it seemed important to her. As it turned out, the book went fron something I was hating for the first 95 pages or so to a work that is easily among my favorites of what I've read in at least the last several months.
>>
>>8232778
For some reason, I just could not get through the beginning of atlas shrugged.

I would stop after the first couple pages and leave the book for a time, only to have to start over.

Finally I said fuck it and just read, and read, and it turned out to be one of the best I have ever read
>>
Any thought-out plot is going to fluctuate in momentum. It's even possible that an author may spend 400 pages all to build up a single moment. I try not to fall into the snare of instant gratification and carry on.
>>
i know within a few pages whether im gonna finish it or not, if the prose is good enough i'll finish anything.
>>
>>8232778
I always try to push through because sometimes it gets good, I normally end up setting it down and just not ever coming back to it if I really don't like it.
So far there's only been two books that I can think of that I just had to stop reading, and those were "The Key to Midnight" by Dean Koontz, and "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy, but I might give the Clancy one a second try.
>>
>>8232812
How do you know whether or not finishing the book will be rewarding if you don't finish it?
>>
Yes but I would have quit the book at least 5 times until I put it down for good.

Stoner was one such book. Heavily appraised and lauded here, I couldn't finish it due to extreme boredom and the dry prose style. I did give it a chance, I read the first 3/4 of the novel in the span of 6 months. I may finish it soon but there are better works I'm reading in the meanwhile.
>>
>>8233103
If it's educational, interesting, entertaining then I won't put it down. If it is none of those things then I have to make a decision whether to drop the book and give up on the idea of it being worthwhile any longer. If I'm 3/4 of the way through a book and it doesn't seem worth reading then Im content in my decision that the last quarter will continue the trend.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.