[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terry Pratchett
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 9780552166591.jpg (35 KB, 257x400) Image search: [Google]
9780552166591.jpg
35 KB, 257x400
What does /lit/ think about Pratchett and Discworld?
>>
>>8232755
One of the best comedy/fantasy writers there ever was. Much love to him, and it's a shame he will be remembered alongside people like Gaiman.
>>
>>8232755
It doesn't.
>>
Eh. Pratchett is fun, and genuinely enjoyable, but for me at least it's hard to imagine sitting down and actually reading a Discworld novel. It's absolutely perfect for audiobooks, though, while you're working or walking or whatever, since there's not really any need to pay 100% attention all the time.
>>
Read the Discworld novels a lot as a kid. Reaper Man and Mort stand out as favourites.

As a very young child was a big fan of his Bromeliad trilogy, Johnny triology and the Carpet People.

I guess I have a bit of nostalgia for him but I'm a fan, he's a fun read.
>>
he invented Bilious, the Oh God of Hangovers which was genius
here's to Terry!
>>
>>8232766
well I don't know who Gaiman is, so its ok
>>
comfy as fuck
>>
>>8232755
Literally a meme author.
>>
“Ankh-Morpork! Pearl of cities! This is not a completely accurate description, of course — it was not round and shiny — but even its worst enemies would agree that if you had to liken Ankh-Morpork to anything, then it might as well be a piece of rubbish covered with the diseased secretions of a dying mollusc.”
>>
>>8235404
'Other people like it too much' is not a criticism.
>>
>>8232766
I just started reading the Discworld series shortly after he passed, and I'm really enjoying it but am also a bit bummed that I'm close to the end. I'd be surprised and dejected if people lumped Gaiman in with him. Not to say Gaiman is bad, but they're very different in style and topic - it'd be like comparing Gaiman and Brandon Sanderson.
>>
>>8236077
When you're done with Pratchett you can start reading Jack Vance.
>>
>>8236118
Not him, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe thanks?
>>
>>8236077
I've got an entire shelf dedicated to Pratchett books that i mostly read when i was younger, and whenever i'm tired of reading any of the heavier stuff that i'm regularly into at this point (studying English at university) i can pick up one of the Discworld books and it's like returning to an old friend.

Which is your favourite one so far? Mine's always been Night Watch.

Also the main point linking Gaiman and Pratchett would be that they were good friends in life and worked on Good Omens (not a massive fan but it's fine) together.
>>
>>8232766
Good Omens was the best book Pratchett ever wrote and Gaiman absolutely is part of the reason for that
>>
>>8233614
I've heard the audiobooks are good but I wouldn't think of listening to his books when he loved to use the formatting of text in his book as a tool for his brand of humor.

I liked his equating the number of exclamation marks at the end of a character's dialogue to their level of madness in a couple novels.
>>
>>8238319
The first audiobook is unlistenable. There's no good recording I have found. Always sounds like they recorded in a tunnel.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.