[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: George-Orwell.jpg (31 KB, 948x711) Image search: [Google]
George-Orwell.jpg
31 KB, 948x711
Honest question, why is reading important? or what does it add to a human being?

I admire intelectuals but reading is such a chore, why should i even bother and are there any tips?

I only liked pic related best seller
>>
Reading –> knowledge –> making your life better.
>>
1. Reading gives you knowledge. Even fiction will challenge your perspective on the world which is how you grow intellectually and spiritually

2. Reading will enable you to get a perspective on how things were in the past. A well written book encapsulates the time period it was written in and preserves it so we can immerse ourselves in it in the future
3. Reading is free and easy and will make you an all around better person, unless you're reading Schopenhauer
>>
>>8231979
Believe it or not, some people actually like reading. I have fun reading, which makes it a great hobby for me. It obviously isn't for you if you think it's a chore.
>>
Reading widens your world view, makes you more empathetic, more eloquent and more intelligent. But you need to read good literature though
>>
Reading was literally invented for entertainment, that's what it is and nothing more. Knowledge is shit BTW, wisdom is what you need but the best way to get wisdom isn't in books. And books are good but they are overrated, most people haven't read. Literacy is a minority.
>>
>>8232008
Stop shilling, just because it can be entertaining doesn't mean that it won't give you more knowledge
>>
>>8232010
Knowledge is entertainment.
>>
>>8232013
>Knowledge is power.

ftfy
>>
>>8232000
But I feel like i should read, i dont know if its out of snobism but I want to be a more intelligent and better person.
>>
>>8232029
Are you that faggot that made me lose money on VHC?
>>
>>8232029
You should read, my friend. I was like you before, but it becomes easier. Take joy in the knowledge gaining and challenge, though it sometimes be dry, and don't forget to start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8232029
Yo, ignore this nigga >>8232148 you fucking snobish cunt.

Try to read something easy, it seems you like 1984 the most so you must be a gigantic pleb. So start with easy to read books like: The Stranger, The Brave New World, The Great Gatsby and The Catcher In The Rye. Also, you don't have to noko anymore, 4chan does this automatically now, you loser.
>>
>>8232029
>I want to be a more intelligent and better person.
>snobism
This is why modern culture is shit.
>>
Books provide entertainment on an analogue medium, so the process of consuming literature is tranquil and silent, providing balance to your mind, which is overexposed to images and sounds.

Additionally the whole act of reading and comprehending words is beneficial to your vocabulary and speech which is a necessity in the professional world.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.