[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great books that /lit/ never talks about.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: magic.jpg (12 KB, 184x273) Image search: [Google]
magic.jpg
12 KB, 184x273
Great books that /lit/ never talks about.
>>
r a y u e l a
a
y
u
e
l
a
>>
I got pretty bored.

The Settembrini/Naphta stuff did not do it for me.
>>
>>8232250
Buddenbrooks >> Magic Mountain
>>
>>8232251

Good to know. I just picked it up, but it's probably going to be a while before get back to Herr Mann.
>>
zettels traum
>>
>>8231437
Its on one of the top 100 charts.
Magic Mountain maybe as well.
>>
>>8231437
based. my favorite book
>>
File: The-Twelve-Chairs.jpg (237 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
The-Twelve-Chairs.jpg
237 KB, 600x906
>>
In order of sublimity:
The Confidence Man
Middlemarch
Bleak House (and the entirety of Dickens' oeuvre)
Canterbury Tales
Tale of a Tub (and the entirety of Swift's oeuvre)

I seldom see the Gita mentioned (never discussed), but on occasion.

If only we'd have less smugger-than-thou terse greentext bullshit responses and more actual readers. But then again, nobody who reads uses the internet.
>>
>>8232250
>>8232251
I have to agree. I mean, the Settembrini/Naphtha dialogues were very, very, good but I feel as if they were written 70 years too late. Naphtha's world view was outdated even in pre-WW1 Switzerland. Of course converts are always the most rabid people, but still.
>>
>Hard mode: Is your favorite book, and is a book that only you have read
It's basically a Frankenstein of classic tales, but I would lie if I said that I didn't enjoy it a fucking lot.
>>
authors like Mann, Flaubert, Chaucer, Henry James
>>
In search of lost time.
>>
File: picture-1819-1382641778.jpg (26 KB, 200x272) Image search: [Google]
picture-1819-1382641778.jpg
26 KB, 200x272
>>8232357
>Gita
>I am sorry, but Nazis did it all. For Hitler, the Bhagavad Gita was a sacred book; he carried it in his pocket all the time.
>>
File: james.jpg (5 KB, 202x250) Image search: [Google]
james.jpg
5 KB, 202x250
>>8232416

Yeah Henry James is really popular in nerdy grad student circles but he gets no love here.
>>
Haven't seen an accurate post yet
>>
>>8232472
>>8232357
>> smugger-than-thou terse greentext bullshit responses
>>non-readers
>>
File: Character.jpg (35 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
Character.jpg
35 KB, 400x430
>>8231431
>>
Tom Jones, Tristram Shandy, Middlemarch, The Magic Mountain, Les Miserables, The Portrait of Lady, In Search of Lost Time, The Red and The Black, The Waves, Beloved, Anything by Borges, Mann, Flaubert, Eliot, Bronte Sisters
>>
>>8232480
This is the first one that is correct. I see everything else mentioned in here frequently. I'm a career browser.
>>
>>8232485
>Tristram Shandy, Middlemarch, Les Miserables, Remembrance of Things Past, Le Rouge et Le Noir, Borges
all of those things are talked about quite often, newfag.
>>
NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT DOSTOJEWSKII, HE'S MY FAVRITEST AUTHOR EVER. HE'S MUCH BETTER THAN ALL THOSE OTHER DUMB AUTHORS YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT. BELY? HAHA WHO IS THAT? MUST BE SOME NOOB SHIT. LOL.
>>
>>8232485
>Tristram Shandy

trash

>Bronte Sisters

trash

the rest is ok. some borges is trash. portrait of a lady is borderline.
>>
File: הר_הקסמים_001.jpg (453 KB, 1075x1639) Image search: [Google]
הר_הקסמים_001.jpg
453 KB, 1075x1639
>>8231431
I'm on page 120 out of 700, and I think about quitting soon. Nothing is actually going on, just some rich manchildren going on short walks and eating stuff with old women. The Italian guy isn't interesting with his blabbering..

pic related: the Hebrew translation of The Magic mountain
>>
>>8231431

I suggest Magic Mountain anytime someone talks about Mann
>>
File: virgil.jpg (40 KB, 306x475) Image search: [Google]
virgil.jpg
40 KB, 306x475
>>8231431

you cucks like this book?
I found it on the street a couple weeks ago and apparently it's highly regarded
>>
>>8232758
it's fucking great. I started reading it thanks to some fellow anon who mentioned it here. Everybody, go read this.
>>
>>8231437
lol try again with your teen/proto-coelho bullshit
>>
>>8232775
alright, I'll probably read it in a few months then
>>
>>8232758
I found this really hard going, but I'm not giving up. The Magic Mountain is excellent - also hard work in places but immensely rewarding.
>>
>>8232913
I think The Death of Virgil is really hard if you want to read it in one go. I've been reading it for the past two months, while reading other things in between. You can give it up for a week and then come back to it.
>>
Any Kazantzakis
>>
>>8232251
No
>>
Gilead
>>
>>8231431

Lookout Cartridge
>>
>>8232758
Immensely, yes, though, considering how great the translation is, I have to wonder what it's like in the original.
>>
>>8232480
I saw the movie when I was in my teens and a non reader and pretty much retarded. Somehow it still made an impression on me. I amazed myself by somehow having the patience to suffer through all three hours of it. I had never heard Dutch before and those guttural sounds had the effect of an incantation. Maybe I should try reading the book.

>Minheer Katadreuffe
>>
>>8233061
This. Probably McElroy's best.
>>
>>8232547
>Nothing is actually going on
It's not a book about plot.
>>
>>8232357
Is The Confidance Man good? I've heard it's hard as shit and lackluster from a professor I really respect.
>>
>plebs can't into thomas mann
>>
>>8233129

the confidence man is so much easier to read than Moby Dick-- its pretty god damn funny and i'm clueless as to what the point of it was, but i agree it is a bit lackluster
>>
>>8233071
Not in a sense of "Why are there no sex scandals or violence?!"
I've read quite a few books which "aren't about plot" and liked them. So far this just feels..meh
>>
Basically any book that's not written in English and not written by the meme author of each one of the other countries
>>
anything that isn't on the top 100 chart honestly

we need a chart based on the next 100
>>
>>8233129
>>8233247
I've posted about the Confiidence Man here before. It certainly lacks the intensity of Moby Dick - though I dare one to name many books that don't - but the Confidence Man is onto some deep level shit. A deeply subtle, wry and profound meditation on conifidence in man and the nature of literature.

It's nearly impossible to pick apart given hymeneally tight construction, but I'd say in terms of ambition, scope and achievement, it ranks with Ulysses for greatest books in the English language.
>>
>>8233247
Also, definitely not easier than Moby Dick. Significantly harder. Sorry double post
>>
>>8233863
wtf are you saying
>>
>>8233910
That the Confidence Man is as good as Ulysses.
>>
>>8234145
objectively wrong
>>
>>8234149
>> smugger-than-thou
>>
>>8234429
just stating a fact. nothing smug about it. stop projecting.
>>
>>8234491
>fact
no such thing mate
>>
>>8234492
>babby's first epistemology

how's freshman year going buddy?
>>
>>8234499
>school
>>
>>8234499
>>8234504
>>smugger than thou

Truth of a college freshman remains true even despite its banality or the position of the speaker.

Truth is true when proven, not when smugly stated.
>>
bumping for interest.
>>
>>8234602
Why haven't you provided proves for your stances then?
>>
Anything by Richard Yates.

>>8232250
Currently reading and loving it. But I agree, the discussions between those two guys are my least favourite parts.

I also hate that meta shit where the narrator is aware of being a narrator.
>>
>>8232297

THIS, it's fucking great.

By the way, I don't know why Yevgeny Petrov isn't mentioned on the bookcover, the two wrote the series about Ostap Bender together, and actually quite rarely wrote separately.
>>
>>8234499
Youre a faggot dude
>>
>>8236969
And it's even Nabokov approved!
>I don't know why Yevgeny Petrov isn't mentioned on the bookcover
Yeah that's weird.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.