[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is wrong with writing a character who has no flaws?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: single-pearl.jpg (60 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
single-pearl.jpg
60 KB, 680x680
What is wrong with writing a character who has no flaws?
>>
Would be proper borz
>>
nothing. as long as you understand no one will want to read about them.
>>
File: not individualistic - ayn rand.gif (193 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
not individualistic - ayn rand.gif
193 KB, 300x300
Nothing so long as all the other characters are flawed.

>>8230312
And yet many people have read the Fountainhead.
>>
>>8230317
>And yet many people have read the Fountainhead.

'people'
>>
File: 1467335424915.jpg (59 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1467335424915.jpg
59 KB, 736x736
>>8230338

t. triggered commie
>>
>>8230309
Nothing, if you want to be the Michael Bay of authors.
>>
Beside it being impossible to really write one?
>>
I want to write a book about a character's whose only flaw is that he has no flaws.
>>
You could do it if that was his flaw was that he had no flaws. Go read the Idiot
>>
>>8230309
It depends on what you mean by flaws and how you use them. If they're the focal point of the book then of course no one will care about it.
>>
>>8230354
did i hurt your feelings aw
>>
Having no flaws is a flaw itself. If you have no flaws you're not human.
>>
There's a very popular book where the main character has no flaws.

Can you guess what it is?
>>
>>8230436
>not human
>bad
>>
>>8230437
Flatland?
>>
>>8230437
If you mean the bible, there's no main character.
>>
>>8230437
the odyssey
>>
>>8230446
uhm

god?
>>
>>8230437
great gatsby

nick is perf
>>
>>8230463
It's not about god, it's about god's creations/followers.
>>
>>8230469
But he's a faggot
>>
>>8230446
What about the Gospel according to John?
>>
>>8230475
so are you tho
>>
>>8230470
i don't agree
>>
The flaw only exists in the face of an ideal of what it means to be flawless. It's not that it's wrong to write a character without flaw, just that it is impossible anyway. A flaw is not a characteristic in itself, but a gap in between possibilities that you can perceive as a character flaw. A trait, any trait, can be presented as a virtue or a flaw. You can write a character that is so good in an ethical sense that this becomes a problem to the other flawed characters around him or her(and by comparisson they have to be), or to the very setting he is inserted (unjust law, brutal nature, etc), this would create the "flaw" of displacement, the unadjusted character. He would be seen by the others as extremely flawed. However, in this story, you'd be siding with the character (because you'll show him as flawless), and all else would be trouble. If you tried to erase that gap in between the characters in a story, what you'd get is something so smooth nothing can be said to have happened at all. That is so because language, and therefore all subjects, emerges from a flaw, from a lack, from this gap.
>>
>>8230309
Kino was flawed . RIP Coyotito ; _ ;
>>
File: cc.jpg (23 KB, 234x300) Image search: [Google]
cc.jpg
23 KB, 234x300
>The truth is that anything you can say about the diamond is in the nature of a flaw. A perfect diamond would be composed simply of light. Remember, you're not looking for merit. This is a cynical business. We seek only imperfection. The stones themselves have their own view of things. I suppose every diamond is cautionary. It's not a small thing to wish for, however unattainable, to aspire to the stone's endless destiny. Isn't that the meaning of adornment? To enhance the beauty of the beloved is to acknowledge both her frailty, and the nobility of that frailty. We announce to the darkness that we will not be diminished by the brevity of our lives. That we will not thereby be made less. You will see.
>>
>>8230437
Aeneas is irritatingly perfect in every single way.
>>
>>8230309
Nothing
>>
adhominem fags will think youre a frustrated fag venting it in his writing, and normie fags will need the ambiguity inherent in daily life to identify or at least see something identifiable in the character.
>>
>>8230404
Too bad. If the character has a flaw then he isn't flawless.

>>8230309 (OP)
Flawless characters are boring as fuck. I want to read about someone I can connect with, whose personality is human. I care about what happens to and within Phaedra, Raskolnikov and Holden Caulfield, not Superman.
>>
>>8230643
There's a difference between a flawless character and a mary sue.
>>
File: 1466162072782.jpg (556 KB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
1466162072782.jpg
556 KB, 2560x1707
>>8230354
>wanting to be dominated by foreign investors
>>
>>8230437
I'm guessing Harry Potter because it's popular and he's partially a Mary Sue, but he does have flaws.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.