[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you express abstract thought around others, particularly your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1467057152370.jpg (122 KB, 562x800) Image search: [Google]
1467057152370.jpg
122 KB, 562x800
Do you express abstract thought around others, particularly your family? I can't have conversations beyond day to day, practical small talk with the people around me without feeling completely alone. Do I just fake it? No one in my family reads or thinks about philosophy or a life outside jobs and money. I'm home for the summer and just waiting to go back to school. I work and am a responsible person but everyone immediately around me fails to see value in being conscious and appreciating the phenomenon that is being alive. I see the zeitgeist but they just cast off my thoughts and feelings as "tree-hugging bullshit" even though I've never expressed eco-friendly thoughts. It's like anything that even touches one degree of abstraction is beyond their comprehension. Anyone else?
>>
>>8229321

>everyone around me fails to see value in being conscious
>fails to appreciate being alive
>beyond their comprehension

You're an idiot and the reason they blow you off is because you sound dumb/pretentious and they literally feel embarrassed.
>>
>>8229348
/thread
>>
>>8229321
Yea bro

Brebare your mind-anus for a lifetime of this. Maybe as you grow older and you've satisfied some of the deeper questions/motivations propelling you towards abstract thought you'll be able to enjoy general pleb conversations more
>>
>>8229348
I obviously don't use that specific language. I only figured it'd get the point across in this point. Now, maybe if you took a break from being a condescending asshat, you'd see that I'm just trying to reach out for help. The fact that I've turned to an anonymous literature board should be evidence enough how stupidly desparate and alone I feel. I'm not mean. I'm not patronizing. I don't talk about lit or life outside of this board. Damn you, really.
>>
>>8229392

The sad truth is just that majority of people will never be interested in philosophical thought.

Don't think philosophical thought makes you superior either, we're all worm-food.

You just have to cherish the friends/acquaintances that you can talk to deeply.

Also, disregard assholes. They derive great joy in your suffering, give them nothing.
>>
>>8229321
>>8229392
Cheer up OP, best wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-_jrQKXpo
>>
>>8229392

>being this triggered
>>
No, the internet is the only place I have to talk to people about things like that.
>>
>>8229625

Be thankful you have internet access
>>
Every person has these thoughts, however edumacatedly they may be internally expressed. The difference between them and you is that they realize their thoughts aren't earth-shattering new discoveries, hence they don't sperg out about how we're all stardust maaaaan.

My advice: take off your fedora, fingerless gloves, and cargo shorts. Put on some trousers and go walk around a part of town you don't go to often.
>>
File: roflbot.jpg (49 KB, 533x355) Image search: [Google]
roflbot.jpg
49 KB, 533x355
>>8229796
>take off your fedora, fingerless gloves, and cargo shorts

Yeah and just how would one go about that hmm, smart guy?

also
>implying trousers make you a more mature person
>>
>>8229872
realize that you can't take them off.

you can't escape elitism but you can fight it by accepting that you can't fight it and that all you can do is refrain yourself from being a sperg
>>
>>8229796
go back from whence you came
>>
Sorry if I came off as being elitist. For being elitist, rather. The only way to fight this repulsive attitude is to consciously do so. No eradication? Book recs to humble me?
>>
>>8229321
Are you ever humorous about it? Maybe it has more to do with the way you're coming off to them that the content of your words. Try to banter with them and call them out on it when they say similar things, if they insult you hold their labels with pride.
>>
not /lit/ go cry about how smart you are on /adv/ or somthing
>>
If this bothers you then read Plato and study Socrates' way of speaking. He leads people into highly abstract conversations by talking to them on a level they can understand. He doesn't start by explaining to them his own views; instead, he takes an interest in them and asks them to state their views, and then he questions them and helps them to develop their views and see its strengths and flaws. The key to his success is his humility; he doesn't try to prove them wrong or humiliate them, he just wants them to teach him what they know because he considers himself to be ignorant.
>>
>>8231062
Also, Socrates generally does not quote from books or try to prove he's clever or well-read. When he offers an example he prefers to frame it in common day terms, talking about horses or workmen or whatever. He assumes that every human being has some basic idea of the truth latent in them, and he tries to make them more aware of their own ideas on truth, goodness, beauty, love, justice, virtue, etc. The key point is that he NEVER gets in debate as a kind of contest; he assumes the person he's talking with is smarter than he is and that he can learn from them; whenever they tell him something, he asks them to explain it further so that he can understand their idea better. This has the marvellous effect of not turning people off by appearing as an argumentative arsehole, and by turning them on by getting them to think about their own ideas.
>>
>>8231074
last post

this is the fundamental mistake people make about the "Socratic method"; they think that it is based on intellectual pride, i.e. pretending to be dumb and then trapping people so you can prove that you are smarter than them.
It's the opposite. The Socratic method absolutely relies upon intellectual humility. In order for it to work, you really have to be convinced that you are dumber than the person you are talking to. If you ever succumb to thinking you are smarter, you will instantly cut off the Socratic dialogue and start trying to educate them in the sophistic style.
>>
>>8231084
good posts
Also
>Socrates generally does not quote from books or try to prove he's clever or well-read. When he offers an example he prefers to frame it in common day terms
I think this is a really great point to bring up. Many people I know who are hesitant to talk about the kind of "heady" matter that OP is talking about are only superficially hesitant. I've had many stimulating conversations with people from all walks of life by merely approaching them naturally and allowing a conversation to evolve. I don't know OP, but what I see a lot of self-branded intellectuals do is frame everything they say in a sort of intellectual phraseology, which manages to come off as annoying even to most of the people who "get" it.
>>
>>8231062
>implying socrates didnt humiliate euthyphro
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.