[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Infinite Jest in television So what other shows or movies have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Infinite Jest.png (1015 KB, 940x940) Image search: [Google]
Infinite Jest.png
1015 KB, 940x940
Infinite Jest in television

So what other shows or movies have you seen this book been mentioned? I can only think of Man Seeking Woman and The Middle where it's basically name dropped.
>>
What would be the TV equivalent to Infinite Jest?
>>
Man Seeking Woman is written by Simon Rich, a very funny writer in his own right. As for The Middle, I've never heard of it and I don't know why it referenced IJ.
>>
>>8228992

One of the main character's in The Middle is obsessed with books and he gets Infinite Jest for Christmas in one episode
>>
>>8228979
it's referenced quite a bit in one episode of parks and recreation
>>
>>8229000
Do they talk about the book or just give it a passing reference? I don't watch TV.
>>
>>8229086

Paraphrasing the quote:
>Kid opens Christmas present: "Yes, Infinite Jest, I wanted this!"
>>
>>8229120
Meh
>>
>>8228979
The inbetweener in Fresh Meat reads it.
>>
I was thinking the other day that Infinite Jest could make a decent television series adaptation. (HBO or Showtime, not network)
>>
I saw it in the suitcase of Tilda Swinton in the movie Only Lovers Left Alive
>>
>>8230242

I'd love for Mike Judge to be behind it in some way, though I feel he's better suited for The Pale King, I think he'd be able to capture the sense of boredom perfectly along with the atmosphere.

So since we're now archiving where Infinite Jest has been in TV or film.
Fresh Meat
The Middle
Man Seeking Woman
Only Lovers Left Alive
>>
>>8228979
Anything lowbrow and gouache is sure to speak of it implicitly, by virtue of mutual debasement and aesthetic estrangement
>>
Some kid was reading IJ in Skins season 5(?). Also in a movie called The end of the tour it was mentioned once or twice.
>>
>>8228979

The big one is Parks and Recreation. Michael Schur, showrunner for the series, owns the film rights for the book. The epitome of referencing the book was S5E17 'Partridge', which included pic and many, many others.

Also, Schur directed this obligatory video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpfK7l404I
>>
>>8230297
The Office had a character named David Wallace. Schur wrote for that show too. Not sure about IJ per se on that show.
>>
>>8228979
There's one thing and one thing only that the mods could do to immensely improve the board, instantly, overnight, and that's facilitate more threads about David Foster Wallace. Create them, nurture the ones that exist, guide the discussions, and make sure they stay on track. If we're here to discuss literature, ultimately, we are here to discuss David Foster Wallace. There is no way for a person to grasp the full implications of Infinite Jest and not realize this. We're talking about the smartest man who ever lived. You must realize this. It's not a joke anymore. We're seeing the world degenerate further and further into chaos, and we're standing by and watching it happen. You want to fix this board? You want to fix the world? You want to fix your life? You need only take one step: read Infinite Jest. There is no substitute for hard work, and that's what Wallace requires of you if you are to understand him. If you are to understand not just him, but the world. We're not talking about escapist literature, fan fiction, genre nonsense. We're talking about saving our lives. We're talking about meditating on God. We're talking about communing with the primary presence. This is not an issue to be treated lightly.
>>
>>8228979
In Only Lovers Left Alive Tilda Swinton hugs her copy of Infinite Jest
>>
File: 1444696188379.jpg (152 KB, 529x692) Image search: [Google]
1444696188379.jpg
152 KB, 529x692
>>8230949

This but unironically (I'm sincere now).
>>
The first season of the Affair. First season of the show was pretty good. Second wasn't worth watching.
>>
>>8228979
1 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 4 > 5 > 6 = 7
>>
>>8228979
God that fucking fan-chosen eye tv cover is the worst thing I've ever seen
>>
>>8231910
I'm pretty sure they held a contest, but ended up with that travesty via a committee
>>
One of the characters in Fresh Meat was reading it in one episode.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.