[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I improve my writing, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Bzhuj7SCcAACJuQ.jpg (29 KB, 444x406) Image search: [Google]
Bzhuj7SCcAACJuQ.jpg
29 KB, 444x406
How do I improve my writing, /lit/?
>>
>>8228774
whats wrong with it
>>
>>8228774
Generally: Read more and write more
>>
>>8228774
Read the authors you wish to emulate and write as much as you can. Set realistic goals for writing each day.
>>
>>8228774
heavy incantation
>>
>>8228774
Don't. Just to give up.
>>
>>8228784
This.
>>
Reading books about writing helps? Someone here once agued it's much better to read prose than any kind of guide, but I always feel like reading those guides just out of curiosity.
>>
>>8229341
You disgust me.
>>
>>8229341
Just keep reading literature. Lots and lots of every kind. Those guides are for genre writing and are full of imposed rules like the greek tree act model, suspense and resolution, beginning and ending arcs and truly meme stupidity like avoiding adverbs "at all cost".
>>
>>8229371
You arouse me.
>>
File: cat with blank stare.jpg (146 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
cat with blank stare.jpg
146 KB, 500x425
bump. I need to know how to improve my writing as well
>>
>>8229341
>Reading books about writing helps?

nope, they're all trash, unless they're not pretending to be didactic and are only a kind of reflection on craft.

>Someone here once agued it's much better to read prose than any kind of guide

it's true.

>I always feel like reading those guides just out of curiosity.

then do it? it's not our time you're wasting
>>
>>8228774
Become a raging alcoholic and only write during those non-lucid periods when you wake up in the morning so hungover that the thought of drinking another sip of alcohol sends you into the toilet vomiting blood
>>
File: pure kino.jpg (21 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
pure kino.jpg
21 KB, 300x470
THIS POST IS MAGIC

ONCE YOU HAVE READ THIS POST YOU WILL BECOME A TALENTED WRITER

GOOD LUCK AND....

A1WAYS B YOURSELF
>>
>>8228781
Rewrite more too
>giving away secrets
>>
>>8228774
I hear this question a lot, not only on /lit/ but in real life as well.

How does one become great at Art? How does one become a great musician? How does one become a great athlete?

Watching and analyzing others, great, impressive art or technique is very beneficial but no student ever became a scholar by just looking at others work. They put in hours, years into perfecting their work and slowly gain the fruits of effort sowed.

Why should writing be different?
>>
>>8231009
Or heroin, as long as you're doing downers you'll be in prime idea mode
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.