[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the Constance Garnett translation of Brothers Karamazov good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 9780451527349-us-300[1].jpg (24 KB, 300x506) Image search: [Google]
9780451527349-us-300[1].jpg
24 KB, 300x506
is the Constance Garnett translation of Brothers Karamazov good?

pic related.

am i a plebeian?
>>
>>8228693

It's not just good it's beloved.
Everyone who disagrees is a newfag who got memed by the jew york times and P&V
>>
>>8228694
i googled it just now after being the book at a used book shop and the New Yorker seems to have their head up their ass.

i know that /lit/ generally hits it on the spot regarding >translations, just wanted to make sure
>>
Get the Avsey translation
>>
>>8228693
The superior translation is the one done by Pevear and Volokhonsky.

I just picked up their translation of Crime and Punishment and it is by far better than any other version I've read.
>>
File: image.png (436 KB, 498x516) Image search: [Google]
image.png
436 KB, 498x516
>tfw reading a McDuff/Penguin translation like a giant idiot
>>
>>8230426
McDuff's translations are some of the best.
>>
Although I've read P&V of anything offered in it past reading the Garnett translation of TBK, I nonetheless loved it and would read it again.
>>
I feel that the translation gives it a fuller English tone but then again I don't think any translated tone will ever be exactly how the authors native language intended it to be.

It's the one I am reading and although the tone dosent fit sometimes or sound how the author intended it to, it provided the content and that's all that matters.
>>
>>8228693
>am i a plebeian?

Jesus fucking christ even asking this marks you out as one. Who cares? Why are you idiots so pathetic?
>>
garnett revised by matlaw is best
>>
>>8228693
Just get the Garnett.
>>
>>8230530
fell for the bait hehe

#wrecked ;^)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.