[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /lit/ think of these?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Inheritance_Cycle_cover.jpg (23 KB, 220x304) Image search: [Google]
Inheritance_Cycle_cover.jpg
23 KB, 220x304
what does /lit/ think of these?
>>
>>8228646

Trash.
>>
>>8228646
Worse than Twilight. Not even joking. To be fair the kid was only like 16 but still.

My dad loves them though. Whenever he talks about what a great writer Paolini is I get pissed off. We went to see one of those Hobbit movies and he said without a hint of irony that they were good but that they copied a lot from Eragon.
>>
>>8228646
It was my favorite series as a child.
I am actually afraid to reread them now because I know I'll probably think they're garbage.
>>
>>8228898
Literally me.
>>
>>8228898
yeah I feel this way about a lot of books I read as a kid.
>>
>>8228898
>>8228906
>>8228918

I imagine that tends to be the case, given they're written for children (young adults?) in the first place.

I loved David Eddings as a child and still have every book he's written on my shelf but I couldn't ever actually read them again. I've tried and they're far too - you guessed it - childish.
>>
>>8228943
I guess if you still appreciate/admire/have a nostalgic connection to them, it's not a bad idea to save them for your own children.
>>
>>8228898
>It was my favorite series as a child.
18+
>>
I read the first two in late childhood and the third in early teens, i finished before the fourth was released. Really liked them, all the adults and other kids thought i was smaht cause they were so thick.
>>
I fucking loved dragons as a kid, and I thought the action scenes were kinda cool, but the dragons were huge pussies and not badass at all, and by the second book I realized the entire plot was just an poorly told amalgamation of Star Wars and LOTR, with dragons.

I read alot of shit fantasy books when I was young, but even I recognized that these books were unoriginal drivel and I stopped at the second one.
>>
worse than lotr better than a lot of other stuff.

Still YA garbage
>>
>>8228890
Age is not an excuse for him. Though he did start at 16, he was already in his 20s by the time he published.
>>
>>8228646
I first read Eragon when I was 13/14. I thought I was Nicholas Cage when I figured out it was just Star Wars with LotR skin.

Only read the first three, didn't do the fourth. It pisses me off that the third dragon egg went to that elf bitch Arya. Plus, I personally would have had Nasuada killed off in the fourth book, because of how she had Roran flogged and sent him off on another mission right afterward, plus how she told Eragon she would have executed him if he weren't a dragon-rider. Literally Galbatorix as a black teenage girl.

Harry Potter and the Hunger Games are the best YA novels imho, Grove Street family.
>>
i thought they were awful even when i was in their target age range
>>
File: Alagaesia_map_by_Alagaesia_fc.jpg (210 KB, 1043x699) Image search: [Google]
Alagaesia_map_by_Alagaesia_fc.jpg
210 KB, 1043x699
I would not have gotten 100 pages into the first book if it were not for this infernal map at the front of the book. God knows how much time I've spent studying it. Cartography makes ANYTHING more interesting and adventurous, and I couldn't help myself tracing how far Eragon and Brom made it after each chapter.

These books are >>8228651 , but like all YA fiction, they're a good gateway for more mature reading further down the line.

My favorite part of the series would have to be when Galbatorix was introduced and finally offered an actual description. That, or when Eragon and his dragon fly really high and see that the earth has a curvature.
>>
>>8231455
>when Eragon and his dragon fly really high and see that the earth has a curvature.

Agreed, that was a really nice moment. The earth being spherical just isn't something that comes to mind when I read fantasy.
Shame about the rest of the book, of course.
>>
File: CxXBkNP.jpg (591 KB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
CxXBkNP.jpg
591 KB, 2500x1500
>>
>>8228646
I always enjoy seeing idiots pay through the nose to make their offspring seem genius or talented or not a waste of air in general. It's disappointing that the payoff takes several years to come through.
>>
>>8232362
>a dark tower
The indefinite article makes it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.