[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Plato had defined the human being as an animal, biped and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: gkldfdfs.jpg (156 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
gkldfdfs.jpg
156 KB, 720x960
>Plato had defined the human being as an animal, biped and featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought it into the lecture-room with the words, ‘Here is Plato’s human being.’ In consequence of which there was added to the definition, ‘having broad nails’

The best mind in philosophy
>>
Then Plato added, "but with nails."

Neither had the answers. Diogenes was an entertaining contrarian and Plato was a loud-but-quiet guy with too-fiery-emotions.

I'm sure neither of them ever said that, though. It was probably just two random guys.
>>
>>8227920
>Diogenes was an entertaining contrarian
yea that's my point
>>
Diogenes is what happens when you take Socratic thought to its logical conclusion. But, more importantly, he is credited with planting the seeds for Stoicism . To me his nost admirable trait was his idea of living with minimal possessions and being the most free ,healthy, and most philosophically noble as a result of that life
>>
>>8227963
>muh asceticism

Just another way for weaklings to try to one up the strong.
>>
>>8227963
That's a shit life, a shit philosophy, and a shit outlook. He was nothing more than a hobo in his lifetime, and he had nothing to show for it when it mattered to him most: his lifetime.

Schopenhauer and Nietzsche immortalized themselves, and for what? Nothing but an excuse to pass the time, as nobody cared to buy their work.

The more I grow up, the more I realize the importance of family, friends, and the thing that is always failed to be mentioned by these 'geniuses': money.
>>
>>8227999
capitalist pig

nice trips tho
>>
>>8227999
you're an idiot. i don't say this because you're disregarding philosophers, but because you are literally unable to understand anyone besides yourself. it's pathetic, and you're displaying it as a badge of honor.
>>
>>8227999
This simply means you define "good" as money and being remembered. None of that shit matters either; how often do you hear about your great grandfather?

Everyone chooses their own good and pursues it, people who pursue more fervently, especially goals within their power, will most likely be happier.
>>
File: ideology.png (504 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
ideology.png
504 KB, 454x600
>>8227999
>>
>>8228009
I understand you not understanding what I was really saying, at the least. Im sorry if Diogenes holds a strong place in your heart, or if I struck a nerve, but ad hominem only truly matters to the living.
>>
>>8228047
>>8228043
what the fuck dude
>>
>>8228053
Sorry, phone lagged during captcha and didnt think it went through first time (had to retext it)
>>
>>8227999
I mean, in The Republic Socrates acknowledges that Cephalus is right when he says that money makes bearing old age easier. He also emphasizes wealth as a good thing at the End of the Apology.

I think they recognized that money was important but we're also quick to emphasize that it easily became too much of a good thing.
>>
>>8227909
Basically the discovery of the intension/extension distinction. Way ahead of its time.
>>
>>8227999
Also - the importance of friendship is very much emphasized throughout the dialogues. The whole Socratic method implies that you can't have true philosophy without good friends. It's the traditional family structure that gets shafted...
>>
>>8227999
>and the thing that is always failed to be mentioned by these 'geniuses': money.

Camel through the eye of a needle bruh.
>>
>>8228079
I would need to hear that from God, and not some Matthew person I never met.
>>
>>8228077
>>8228073

Good posts.

If Socrates was not already old and rich though, do you think he would have stayed in jail?
>>
>>8228099
Over two billion people disagree with you in theory.
>>
>>8228119
Yeah, well I don't even know what's truly real anymore. What x means to y, or Who? What?

All of my life I learned and loved from the Bearenstein Bears, and would eat at Chic Fil A. But most would disagree.
>>
>>8228142
>Yeah, well I don't even know what's truly real anymore.

Did you previously know what is really true?
>>
>>8227999
>Money and pussy, am I right? xD
>>
>>8228152
The only thing I know is that I know nothing. But I do know how to fucking spell Chic Fil A.
>>
>>8228167
Can't say I've had Chic Fil A before, but I doubt it can compete with homemade pizza senpai.
>>
>Be Diogenes
>Too much of a self-righteous fucking faggot to engage in serious discourse with some of the greatest philosophers in history, instead turning my whole life into a series of retarded incidents that are supposed to prove my shitty philosophy, amounting to nothing more than showing my desperate desire to be a furry
>At least 2000 years in the future I'm an ebin leddit may-may :^)
>>
>>8228374
Still more than you'll ever achieve.
>>
>>8228379
That might well be true, but it's irrelevant.
My point is that everyone needs to shut the fuck up about Diogenes and focus on philosophers who made a contribution more significant than "look at me, I live in a fucking barrel, this chicken is a man, now watch while I jerk off in public, aren't I just the bees' knees?"
>>
>>8228374
>ebin leddit may-may
Diogenes is obviously 4chan. If anything it's sterile socratic dialectics that's reddit.
>>
>>8228387
R u mad bro?
>>
File: 1460104030031.png (466 KB, 600x603) Image search: [Google]
1460104030031.png
466 KB, 600x603
>>8228374
He was a noble contrarian that helped keep everyone else in line. No time to toot your own horn or go spread sophistry to attract plebs without risking the Great Opposer himself showing up and embarrassing you. What he proved is that his rivals were often just as facile in argument as him.
>>
Where do I read more about Diogenes?
>>
>>8228583
the internet
>>
>>8228583
In books about him
>>
>>8227999
Ad hominem pls
>>
>>8228583
Google has the whole story thing by him, where you can find a lot of his funny trolls (like spitting on some guys face in his home because he told Diogenes to not spit on his rug)
>>
>>8228595
Yeah, icgaf about Diogenes. It was just using him as a tool to lay out my thoughts
>>
Honestly, from what I've gleaned from this thread (I know fuck all about Greek phil) Diogenes seems like the most enjoyable person to be in a discussion circle

You just constantly show up and throw a wrench in everyone's high falootin' notions by pointing out obvious flaws and derail discussion
>>
>>8229268
I wonder how many shitposters on here think they're acting like Diogenes.
>>
>>8227999
>Them inverted 6's
hey there demon boi
>>
>>8228374
>mfw Diogenese invented cynicism, stoicism, and being a furry

Truly one of the greatest men to ever live.
>>
>>8229322
anti-anti-Christ breh
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.