[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn more about Vedanta. Which books do you recommend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Raja_Ravi_Varma_-_Sankaracharya.jpg (480 KB, 705x958) Image search: [Google]
Raja_Ravi_Varma_-_Sankaracharya.jpg
480 KB, 705x958
I want to learn more about Vedanta.

Which books do you recommend?
>>
The Vedantas (aka the Upanishads)

I mean, shit, its in the name dude
>>
>>8226846
Would I really get something out of those without being knowledgeable about the context?
>>
A Man and His Becoming According to the Vedanta by René Guénon.
Then
The Vedanta and Western Tradition by Ananda Coomaraswamy
>>
>>8226849
Yes because any recent edition will have a proper introduction.
>>
Can you even become initiated into the Vedanta if you aren't Indian?
>>
>>8226877
>>8226877
Probably depends on the temple/organization and how traditional they are. But I bet you can if you find the right ashram/math, probably the more modernist groups like Divine Life Society or Ramakrishna math?

Idk for sure, Buddhist here, so I don't have that issue.

Also, you might want to look into nondual Shaivism. I think its much more philosophically sound than Vedanta (Dual and non-dual Vedanta). Spanda Karikas, Shiva sutras, Abhinavagupta, etc.
Cool stuff, of course, not as cool as the Buddha, but I digress.
>>
Is the Bhagavad Gita worth reading?
>>
>>8226945
if you lean towards theism, yes

If you are not interested in theism, best to stick to Upanishads, Brahma sutras, Shankara, etc
>>
>>8227148
isn't vedanta theist?
>>
>>8226917
>look into nondual Shaivism. I think its much more philosophically sound than Vedanta
could you elaborate?
>>
Vivekachudamani (The Crest Jewel of Descrimination)
>>
>>8226945
>>8227148
I'm an atheist who loved the Gita. You don't need God to buy into karma yoga (which is just about the most ingenious ethical system I've read). Anyway, Krishna explicitly says that bhakti yoga is for plebs who can't hack the more effective ways of ridding themselves of karma.

>>8226648
Get Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan's 2-volume Indian Philosophy and The Principal Upanishads.
>>
That said, the Gita isn't really Advaita.
>>
I genuinely recommend everyone on this board read it though. It's fucking brilliant.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.