[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I already own Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow, so I bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: infinite meme.jpg (9 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
infinite meme.jpg
9 KB, 181x279
I already own Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow, so I bought this to complete my "meme trilogy". I have no plans whatsoever to read it, I'm just going to crack the spine (I bought a new copy to avoid germs) and put it on my shelf. Has anyone actually read/enjoyed this?
>>
Read it, didn't enjoy it.
>>
Didn’t read it, enjoyed it.
>>
Enjoy it, didn't read it
>>
It enjoyed read, didn't it?
>>
R
E N J O Y
A I
D I D N ' T
. T ,
>>
It enjoy it, read didn't.
>>
>>8226454
For Sale, Infinite Jest, Never Read
>>
Didn't readd-it, enjoy it?
>>
File: 1405033666664.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1405033666664.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>8228021
>>
>>8226454
Reddit, didn't enjoy it.
>>
>>8228021
perfect.
>>
>>8228021
lmao
>>
>>8228021
/thread
>>
>>8226454
There's one thing and one thing only that the mods could do to immensely improve the board, instantly, overnight, and that's facilitate more threads about David Foster Wallace. Create them, nurture the ones that exist, guide the discussions, and make sure they stay on track. If we're here to discuss literature, ultimately, we are here to discuss David Foster Wallace. There is no way for a person to grasp the full implications of Infinite Jest and not realize this. We're talking about the smartest man who ever lived. You must realize this. It's not a joke anymore. We're seeing the world degenerate further and further into chaos, and we're standing by and watching it happen. You want to fix this board? You want to fix the world? You want to fix your life? You need only take one step: read Infinite Jest. There is no substitute for hard work, and that's what Wallace requires of you if you are to understand him. If you are to understand not just him, but the world. We're not talking about escapist literature, fan fiction, genre nonsense. We're talking about saving our lives. We're talking about meditating on God. We're talking about communing with the primary presence. This is not an issue to be treated lightly.
>>
>>8228021
well memmed
>>
>>8226454
don't forget to put a bookmark roughly 600 pages in and another bookmark nestled among the footnotes
>>
>>8228021
rofl
>>
>>8228021
gj
>>
>>8228021
There is no way this one (You) post gets to seven without samefagging.
>>
He's right, the name says it a all. It's a joke on collage boys that carry big well known books trying to impress girls.
>>
File: Infinite Tangent.png (1 MB, 932x1418) Image search: [Google]
Infinite Tangent.png
1 MB, 932x1418
>>8226454
OC
>>
>>8228021
bravo, anon. a tour de force.
>>
>>8228021
kek
>>
>>8228021
rekt
>>
>>8229850
nice oc man, saved
>>
>>8226454
I bought it for basically the same reason and did eventually read it. It's not as terrible as you might assume it is from all the memes, but it definitely didn't need to be as long as it was.
>>
>>8229354
congrats, you just contributed
>>
>>8228021
Truly, a masterpiece of contemporary shit posting.
>>
>>8230890
woah! u sure go gettem fire wood!
what a massuh, a genus.
>>
>>8228021
crying
>>
>>8228021
absolute kek
>>
>>8228021

Bravo
>>
>>8226454
Being the only honest poster in this thread, I actually loved IJ.
>>
>>8232195
go home dfw
>>
>>8228021
one day I'll write an article in a widely circulated publication about the state of literature and this will be my title, consider it stolen
>>
File: screaming loudly.gif (457 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
screaming loudly.gif
457 KB, 500x282
>>8226454
>I have no plans whatsoever to read it, I'm just going to crack the spine
>I'm just going to crack the spine
>going to crack the spine
>intentionally cracking the spine
>Thinking a cracked spine is going to fool people into thinking he read it
>feeling the need to put up a ruse like this
>>
>>8232743
Do you not think its going to work? why not?
I don't want people to think I am dumb
>>
>>8232993
1 if you feel the need to give a false impression like that, you probably are at least a little dumb
2 i was thinking of telling you what's wrong with your plan, but since it would only encourage you to be even more deceitful, i'll just give you this: Anyone that wants to unmask you can do it in less than 10 seconds
>>
>>8232993
If you want a really foolproof way into making people think you've read the book, read it.
>>
>>8226454
>(I bought a new copy to avoid germs)
>>
>>8226454
>I have no plans whatsoever to read it, I'm just going to crack the spine (I bought a new copy to avoid germs) and put it on my shelf.
What the fuck
>>
>>8232993
Throw it around, rough up the edges and all that shit to make people think you've taken it to hell and back with you.
>>
>>8233696
Thank you for the useful advice

>>8233149
That is exactly what I don't want to do. Don't you understand?

>>8233124
I figure no one would ask and even if they did I could just laugh it off and say something, like, "Oh good ole Dave, that jokester, writing so many footnotes!" and then bait and switch them by bringing them to my collection of Penguin Classics (with footnotes) and say "have you tried out any of these?"
>>
Everyone stop replying, it's clearly bait, see below

>>8233760
>my collection of Penguin Classics
>>
>>8228127
There are already 4 threads about DFW. The fuck more do you want nigger.
>>
>>8233786
thanks anon for letting us know.
>>
Who will be there to see it? Your mom, cleaning your room?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.