[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poetry is ltierally the lowest form of 'art' there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Poetry is ltierally the lowest form of 'art' there is poets are crap-out authors who couldn't finish more than a chapter. I want to be proven wrong but I work in a bookstore and every time I think "Well maybe not -all- poetry is garbage." I'll pick up a book, read a bit from it and have my optimism unsurprisingly drained away. It contributes neither value nor entertainment to mankind. Please prove me wrong.
>>
people r different r tard
>>
>>8226080

bro u might as well try to convince me Shakespeare sucked i mean come on what kind of blatant stupidity

people get angry with things that go over their heads. just be quiet until you can enjoy poetry. (one day you will; read up on meter and such, and try to write some poetry of your own).
>>
>>8226080
If you're following rules, doesn't it make it harder than writing prose?
>>
i don't care what you think pleb lmfao
>>
B8
>>
>>8226298
Not b8, genuine question.
>>8226269
The same point can be made for writing with your non-dominant hand, but it's a pointless limitation,
>>
>>8226080
I totally agree OP. And it looks like nobody's got much to say to the contrary either.
>>
>>8226080
Whenever someone tells me they're an english major I think. "Oh, we could probably have some really cool conversations."

Whenever someone tells me they're a poetry major I think "Oh, so you're basically worthless and still manage to be narcissistic anyway"
>>
Poetry is vastly overrated and underestimated by people. Writing good poetry is extremely difficult and is best left to people who have a natural genius for it. There is no such thing as mediocre poetry, there is only good, interesting poetry and boring shit.
>>
File: segolily.png (269 KB, 609x808) Image search: [Google]
segolily.png
269 KB, 609x808
>>8226080
you chose a pretty convoluted way of saying "I'm stupid" lol
>>
>>8226687
>Whenever someone tells me they're an english major I think. "Oh, we could probably have some really cool conversations
>>
>>8226080
Being concise and skillfully mastering idioms i.e. schemes is better than just shitting out whatever's on your mind that week like novelists do.
>>
>>8226687
>implying there's such a thing as a poetry major

If there is, that's kind of absurd given that you study poetry in english
>>
>>8226642
But verse isn't a pointless limitation, holy shit. This faggot probably doesn't know anything about prosody.
>>
>>8226080
For Christ's sake, anon. Poetry just requires a different skillset and approach than prose. Great poetry is profound, beautiful,complex, and could never be rendered fully in any other form.

Home is where one starts from. As we grow older
The world becomes stranger, the pattern more complicated
Of dead and living. Not the intense moment
Isolated, with no before and after,
But a lifetime burning in every moment
And not the lifetime of one man only
But of old stones that cannot be deciphered.
There is a time for the evening under starlight,
A time for the evening under lamplight
(The evening with the photograph album).
Love is most nearly itself
When here and now cease to matter.
Old men ought to be explorers
Here or there does not matter
We must be still and still moving
Into another intensity
For a further union, a deeper communion
Through the dark cold and the empty desolation,
The wave cry, the wind cry, the vast waters
Of the petrel and the porpoise. In my end is my beginning.
>>
>>8226080
>authors who couldn't finish more than a chapter
Read a long poem with multiple songs. Homer, Dante, Spenser...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.