[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips on writing Sword and Sorcery literature? Likewise, any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: WeMakeFugNow.jpg (118 KB, 1000x1331) Image search: [Google]
WeMakeFugNow.jpg
118 KB, 1000x1331
Any tips on writing Sword and Sorcery literature? Likewise, any advice on writing erotic fiction?

I've been reading a lot of Robert Jordan's Conan Chronicles, and I really like that he's found the median between classical fantasy and a more modern style.

I'd like to write a series of short stories about a massive barbarian that fights wizards, steals treasure from ancient monsters, and ravages the wives of kings and plump slave girls.
>>
>>8225887
Conan. You'd like to rewrite Conan.
>>
>>8225887
Well I like fantasy with expansive, complex, meaningful lore. Extra points if you can include the exposition of the lore into the narrative itself.
For erotica just follow your libido. If what you're writing turns you on some people will surely feel identified.
>>
>>8225889
Yes, essentially.

I guess I'm asking what key points I should keep in mind while writing Sword and Sorcery fiction?

The same goes for erotic fiction. What makes a good erotic story?

I've done some digging around on Google, and haven't really found any good examples where someone has found a good middle ground between brutal, medieval fight scenes and tantalizing sexual content.

I guess I want to write Conan, but with more descriptive sex scenes.
>>
>>8225910
>just follow your libido.

I like this.
>>
>>8225887
I'd suggest checking out some of the Kane short stories and the early Elric cycle for pointers. They did some interesting things in S&S.
>>
>>8220529
>>
>>8225887
I would ingest as much of the Homer's Iliad and Odyssey as possible. To me, these are like reference books for writing fantasy. The descriptions of being disemboweled or beheaded, the lavish descriptions of palace hospitality and Bronze age materialism, witches, gods walking the earth as men, just their distinct general worldview - all of which would cohere with a fantasy setting.
>>
>>8225887
>Any tips on writing Sword and Sorcery literature?
Don't.
>>
>>8225887
I like this genre a lot too. Robert Jordan's Conan stories are excellent. There's also some really good stories by L. Sprague De Camp and others.

Tolkien is the ultimate template for any fantasy writing.

I have never read erotic fiction except for masturbatory purposes, but I often seek it out for that. I can never find enough writing in my particular fantasies. For me, what's best is going into really psychological, demented, dominance and incest themes. But that's just me.
>>
>>8225913
Fair enough.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.