[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it generally worth while to take writing classes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Is it generally worth while to take writing classes?
>>
>>8225584
No.
>>
>>8225584
Yes.
>>
"worthwhile" is one word you dirty whore
>>
>>8225584

It depends. Are you disciplined enough to write every day without deadlines or other people asking to see what you've written? Do you have a group of people whose opinions you trust who you could send your writing to for feedback? Do you have a mentor who can give you specific, solid advice about your writing?

if you answered "no" to any of those questions, it would probably be worthwhile to take a writing class. don't pay more than you can afford and look at reviews online before you put money down.

you won't know until you try, though.
>>
No. There's nothing like the “right” way to write. These courses are usually taught by popular authors to congratulate themselves and tell you their style is the correct style. I can't believe so many people fail to understand the complete contradiction a “creative writing course” is. A college course is never, ever creative, and creativity doesn't pop in a classroom, for God sake.
>>
No. There's nothing like the “right” way to act. These lessons are usually taught by popular acting teachers to congratulate themselves and tell you their style is the correct style. I can't believe so many people fail to understand the complete contradiction an “acting lesson” is. A lesson is never, ever dramatic, and acting doesn't pop in an improvized-theatre room, for God sake.
>>
>>8225858
>performing is the same as creating
Tell me how many great tragedies were thought and born in a classroom.
>>
>>8225882
my diary desu
>>
>>8225898
8/1 for being so close to dubs
>>
If you have critical reading skills? Probably not. Just reverse engineer that shit and, bam, you're a writer.

If you don't, yes.
>>
>>8226005
Pretty much this.

Or you can read, and imitate and learn why that authors style works, or doesn't.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.