[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can good prose be translated without losing it's value?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1YpyWwN.jpg (149 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
1YpyWwN.jpg
149 KB, 970x546
can good prose be translated without losing it's value? why or why not?
>>
could be, but reading lit writen in same language you are using is more valuable to you
>>
I claim translations can be superior to the original work.
>>
>>8225560
It is about removing the self or 'cleaning the glass' between the author and the 'objective' (it's more complicated than objective/subjective imo) reality they are describing
>>
Douglas Hofstadter wrote a wonderful book on literary translation titled Le Ton Beau de Marot.
>>
>>8226540
in terms of what it does to prose I would imagine it is something like a mathematical pattern resulting from a cypher, but with human variables so the equation should reflect natural ones like fibbonaci or something, i think im insanse
>>
>>8226557
Sorry, messed up the capitalization. It's Le Ton beau de Marot. :)
>>
Depends on what makes it good, what languages you're translating between, etc.
>>
>>8225560
Depends what you mean by 'value'. Literal accuracy is better for retaining the original meaning, but it can leave the language feeling stilted and unnatural. Translations which try to replicate the cadences and rhythm of the original is better suited for poetry, but its a lot easier to lose the vividness of its imagery.
>>
>>8226529
what would be an example?
>>
>>8225560
It should be approached as a different text.
>>
>>8225560
It depends on a lot of things, the most important of which is the skill of the translator. John E. Woods' translation of The Magic Mountain, for example, is a phenomenal read, and retains much of the original's beauty.
>>
It really depends on the translator. I like when the translator has like a 20 page preface at the beginning of the book. It means they know their shit
>>
>>8226540
I don't know if you're insane but you do a p shitty job of describing that the translator simply shouldn't put any of his personality and writing style into the translation

>>8225560
technically no, but it can and should still strive to come close
>>
>>8227572
Catcher In The Rye
>>
>>8226558
I think you are a self-abasing pretentious ass personally
>>
>>8228253
In what language?
>>
>>8228263
I don't think it matters. All i know is that it was so obnoxious in English, it must needs be better in another language if only for the fact it may become unreadable
>>
File: 1445466152149.jpg (165 KB, 439x550) Image search: [Google]
1445466152149.jpg
165 KB, 439x550
>>8227891

>18/20 pages are the translator's life story
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.