[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books with the theme of this kino?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 4L_x5ugM9rq.jpg (203 KB, 1000x1417) Image search: [Google]
4L_x5ugM9rq.jpg
203 KB, 1000x1417
Are there any good books with the theme of this kino?
>>
>>8224815

i've never read one, but maybe there's a warhammer 40k novel about chaos marines?

event horizon is the prequel to warhammer 40k universe
>>
>>8224828
Kek
>>
>>8224828
>event horizon is the prequel to warhammer 40k universe

I don't see the connection at all...
>>
>>8224815

You might like "Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days" by Alastair Reynolds
>>
>>8224815

Blindsight
>>
>>8224815
what does kino mean?
>>
>>8224887
iirc in warhammer all the evil demon shit comes from the planes you have to cut through to travel faster than light?
Like in the movie how the ship has to go through hell to go faster than light
>>
>>8225002
It's a /tv/ joke, making fun of people separating movies and 'film'. The joke being that they don't even watch film, they only watch 'kino' from the word kinomograph or some shit.
>>
>>8225447

thx
>>
>>8224815
But seriously, are there any good books about someone cracking a portal to hell and fucking the world up good?
>>
>>8225491
I'm looking for the same thing OP, someone recommended "Blindsight". I just bought that on my kindle and gonna give it a read. I just got done reading "ship of fools", don't read that, it's not that good.
>>
>>8224887

In Warhammer, "the warp" is basically filled with the stuff of all living being's minds. The thing is that most of life is basically a constant struggle of eat or be eaten and intelligent creatures like humans can think of complex theories of mind. That means that while most of the warp is just churning mindstuff of raw emotion and ideas, this stuff can also condense into manifestations of complex concepts like predatory sadism.

Basically, it's filled with non-physical, immortal beings that want to murder you out of sheer spite.

Event Horizon is can be viewed as a story of what happens when you try to go into the warp without adequate protection methods.

Most of the Horus Heresy details in quite frankly painful detail of what happens when a massive interplantary and highly advanced human culture uses the warp without really knowing what it actually is. Some people can project their minds into the warp and do things, fly around, talk with other beings and see strange shit, so everyone assumes that beings they encounter are just aliens doing the same thing. That demonthing isn't an actual demon, just an alien that looks like a demon. So what could be the harm in talking with these things, what could the downside of for example using information they give you to gain seemingly magical powers in the physical realm?

The reality is that it is a demon. It's demons all the way down.

This is basically what all of the Horus Heresy series is about. A few dozen books and counting about people going "HOLY FUCK DAEMONS ARE FUCKING REAL!? WHAT INT HE ACTUAL FUCK!" and then having to deal the consequences of their entire fucking galaxy spanning civilization being built on using Hell as a king of shortcut.
>>
File: 1342904171642.gif (1 MB, 215x119) Image search: [Google]
1342904171642.gif
1 MB, 215x119
>>8225653

Well God DAMN...
>>
>>8225653
Some of the fluff writers handled the concept with a lot of subtlety. I actually think that one of the worst things to happen to 40k was it getting sufficiently big and famous that the IP's corporate owners hired authors to "clean up" and systematise the lore. They tightened everything so much, cleaned up all the rough edges. The result is that what used to be a kind of Dunsanian/Lovecraftian/Chambersian "the less said, the better" - a way of HINTING at a sprawling self-consistent universe of horrible shit - has become a metaphysically rigid video game-y system.

A conversation about the Warp used to go like this:
>What if it's just all psychic manifestations of emotions?
>No, there are clearly other entities in there too! Are they just manifestations? What about the mind flayers and the abominations that come from the "deepest layer" of the Warp?
>What if that's just the deepest anyone knows about?!
>MAN, remember when that [spooky shit] happened? Or when that [unexplained and difficult to reconcile with the other lore, but very tantalising and terrifying thing] happened?!
>What if..

Now it goes like this:
>Matt Ward's 5th CSM codex says it's psychological manifestations, and here is a precise historiography of those manifestations: ...

The cosmic horror aspects of the setting in general are very interesting. The Warp is like this weird, intersubjective consensus among a bunch of nerdy scifi and cosmic horror fans from the 80s that the setting should have a properly "eldritch" streak running through it. Too bad the 2000s came along and turned it into cardboard.
>>
Stop trying to force this meme. No one likes you.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.