[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts? I think he is one of the best writers of fiction in history.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24 KB, 285x352
Thoughts?
I think he is one of the best writers of fiction in history.
>>
>horned waning moon
Garbage purple prose with no variety.
>>
>>8224500
it adds to the tension and suspende in his stories.
>>
>>8224494
Doesn't set scenes very well. For his time, really good. Best writers of all time? No. Best of cosmic horror writers? Definitely up there as a pioneer.
>>
>>8224494
He's a big part of the American literary heritage, I'd say.

Also Colour out of Space is his best story
>>
I'm a big Lovecraft fan. He's one of very few authors that can really make me feel unnerved and disturbed when reading.
>>
He's overrated. He has his place as a pioneer, but his prose is as >>8224500 said. Calling him the best fiction writer ever is laughable. There are better writers on /lit/
>>
Some of his stories are dry but a few are complete masterpieces to a genre he helped create.

He is very over-hyped on the internet but his best stories don't involve Cthulhu.
>>
File: dafrey.png (1 MB, 1169x1055) Image search: [Google]
dafrey.png
1 MB, 1169x1055
>>8224500
>judging writers for their prose alone
>>
>>8224563
>not The Shadow out of Time
>>
>>8224895
>i like bad writers leave them alone wah
>>
File: h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg (137 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg
137 KB, 620x412
>>8224494
I think Lovecraft's value come from his philosophy. He approached horror in a way that no other writer has yet reproduced. He evidently had a firm grasp on science and on the philosophical essence of good horror. His horror is top tier because it points out the miniscule role that man plays in the universe. His horror samples some of the more frightening conclusions of philosophy. He included philosophical ideas such as amorality, existentialism, anti-egalitarianism, and nihilism.

Lovecraft makes you feel small, because you are small. Lovecraft makes space seem big and scary, because it is big and scary. Lovecraft evokes the powerful fears of the unknown.

Lovecraft doesn't seek to scare you with cheap thrills. His horror is the kind that embeds itself in your thoughts. His horror will never leave you.

Even if you aren't interested in Lovecraft's writing, you could read his critique of the horror genre.
>>
>when yr high as shit and think that's salinger
>>
>>8225104
>niggers
>>
I like his work enough but don't think that highly of his views of life or his writing style.
>>
>>8225106
Exactly.
>>
File: c26.png (223 KB, 404x507) Image search: [Google]
c26.png
223 KB, 404x507
>>
>>8224494
There is a order to whitch we should read this work?

Im really thinking in giving a try. Im done with medieval themed stories like LotR and so on.

>inb4 someone post an anthology book

Im talking about a chronological order for his stories if such thing exists in that universe.
>>
>>8225131
There is no particular order. Just don't read At the Mountains of Madness until you are well acquainted with his work. By that I mean, having read at least 10-20 of his stories.
>>
>>8225104
This

It's worth noting that the cultural zeitgeist today somewhat accepts mans insignificance in the grand scheme of the universe, while during Lovecraft's time, audiences viewed the world in highly anthropocentric lens
>>
>>8224900
>not the music of erich zann
>>
>>8225104
You forget metaphysics
>>
>>8225155
Thanks for the tip.
At the Mountain of Madness has anything to do with that 90s movie?

Anyway, there are some stories that you recommend as a "must read"? Not only to know about the author but becuase you personally liked a lot?
>>
>>8225118
10/10 image desu
>>
>>8225111
desu
>>
>>8225277

Not >>8225155 but I'm in the mood of replying.

I think what you mean is "In The Mouth of Madness", which is somehow a tribute to lovecraft, I guess. But not a movie of "At the Mountains...". Still a cool flick.

My 2 cents for "must reads": The Dunwich Horror, Shadow over Insmouth. Enjoy!
>>
>>8224494
Lovecraft is of value as a gateway into other early twentieth century horror, pulp, genre, and 'weird' lit writers. One becomes familiar with William Hodgeson, Robert Howard, Lord Dunsany after reading Lovecraft, as if by osmosis; his work is full of allusion. Moreover, his essay, Supernatural Horror In Literature, is a superb overview.

Not all of his fiction is good, but a good third of his published output is both worthy, literary, and still capable of delivering feelings of discombobulation, curiosity, and wonder. The Colour Out Of Space, Dunwich Horror, and Whisperer In The Darkness are top tier.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.