[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the essential stoic books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
What are the essential stoic books?
>>
>>8224357
start with the greeks
>>
>>8224362
and resume with the romans
>>
>>8224362
>>8224371
Which particular books?
>>
The works of Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus
>>
>>8224373
start with the greeks
>>
Letters from a Stoic

Meditations

and some Epictetus
>>
>>8224373
start with the greeks
>>
start with my diary desu
>>
>>8224362
>>8224390
>>8224750
How do you "start" with the Greeks friendos?
>>
>>8224755
Post it family
>>
>>8224357
On Clemency is the essential
>>
On a related note what are some essential cynic books?
>>
File: tartaria.png (26 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
tartaria.png
26 KB, 256x256
>not starting with neolithics

fucking plebs
>>
>>8224771
you start with them. They don't start with you.
>>
Meditations. Literally nothing else

Seneca was a hypocritical sycophant and pseudo-philosopher who lived in opulence and worshipped Nero who eventually ordered him to off himself for being such a two faced little bitch
>>
>>8225593
>I get my history lessons from le chon: The Post
>>
>>8224379
>>8224405
These tbqh

>>8225593
>Implying Epictetus didn't inspire the Meditations
I'll admit I liked the others more than Seneca though. Aurelius in particular, he's having to constantly remind himself not to be angry and striving to be a greater person, it's easy to admire a person who battles against their flaws
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.