[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you find your writing limited to certain feelings or archetypes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: use this.jpg (17 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
use this.jpg
17 KB, 600x600
Do you find your writing limited to certain feelings or archetypes?

For instance, I only seem to think of 'tragic' stories. On the walk to work I thought of the events around a schoolkid accidentally slashing his own artery. Stories of people being trapped, uncomfortable, paranoid, killed etc. Never anything happy and always 'edgy'.

Tell me about your writing.
>>
I can only write like a terrible Pynchon knockoff. My writing teacher gave me a lot of shit for this and made me read Jane Austen novels to try and change my style, but it didn't work.
>>
I can't help but be humorous in my writing. If it's not at least a little bit funny then none of the other emotions work.
>>
>>8222752
you mean to tell me that your prose fiction has traits which would make it identifiable as having been written by you personally? that's terrible!
>>
>>8224181
Your writing is truly identifiable
>>
For the most part my earlier stuff was from the point of view of self-pitying but still toxic narcissism. Luckily I grew up. Now my narcissists manage to pity others from time to time for not being them, and there is no self-pity. Progress ...
>>
I have a habit of my placing my characters in awful circumstances, usually with many flaws incredibly detrimental to their character, and then throw them into the midst of a crisis.

Sometimes they overcome the challenges ahead, or lose their lives.
>>
I love putting in irony and double meanings in my writings, but I hate repeating words, especially within the same page. The majority of my stories leads down the "everything keeps going to shit, I'm going to kill myself in the end and every reader knows it, but I'll never actually decide it until the last few chapters".

How to stray from the stereotype grimdark bs?
>>
>>8222752
I've tried to write to write a bunch of times, but I always lost interest in the story I was telling. Maybe I'm just obsessed with writing a novel and should focus to short stories.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.