[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books to read for an aspiring lawyer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Drone+Injury+Lawyer.jpg (218 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
Drone+Injury+Lawyer.jpg
218 KB, 700x300
What are some good books to read for an aspiring lawyer?
>>
>>8222742
john Grisham you stupid fuck
>>
>>8222742
All of them. I contribute the majority of my success on the LSAT and in law school to practicing deep reading as a hobby before and during school.
>>
Satanist Bible.
>>
>>8222742
the trial
>>
>>8222749
>deep reading

what does that entail exactly?
>>
Is law the ultimate lib arts career, you know, without becoming a professor or acclaimed author?
>>
>>8222774
first off... where are you from? your nationality?
>>
>>8222774
I mean reading closely, paying attention to what you are reading, and really thinking about it. You can't just scan the page with your eyes. That doesn't work in law school. You need to reflect on the information and think critically about how it relates to everything else.
>>
I'm going to focus on jurisprudence

The Concept of Law - H. L. A. Hart

Punishment and Responsibility - H. L. A. Hart

Taking Rights Seriously - Ronald Dworkin (I disagree with Dworkin's assessment regarding legal positivism but still, you should probably study his work).

The morality of freedom - Joseph Raz

Any philosophical treaties that pertain to liberal views regarding law (Bentham, Mill, etc). In addition to this, study Aquinas and the foundations of natural law

Familiarize yourself with the Hart–Fuller debate

Law's Empire - Ronald Dworkin

John Rawls - A Theory of Justice

Discern and analyse the major schools of thought (legal realism, positivism, etc)
>>
>>8223288
I think these are good recommendations, but really only if anon wants to be an appellate lawyer/amicus brief author, a law professor or a politician. If anon wants to be a trial lawyer, history books are actually pretty good; you look at the facts, find out what's relevant to your theory, anticipate potential attacks and carefully build your picture of events. If anon wants to be corporate counsel, just read business journals, because that's who your clients are going to be and you'll get enough opportunity to read legal-related stuff in law school and for work.
>>
>>8222742
review for the lsat
anything else is a waste
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.