[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to into acting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: shitty actors.jpg (39 KB, 440x267) Image search: [Google]
shitty actors.jpg
39 KB, 440x267
What are some good books for learning how to act? Not stupid theater acting but solid realistic acting for film and tv.
>>
>>8222732
start with the greeks
>>
>>8222735
Is this a philosophy joke or do you have an actual book rec
>>
bump i'm interested too, psychology of acting is pretty interesting
>>
>>8222743

>wants an actual book rec
>while saying "Not stupid theater acting but solid realistic acting for film and tv"

You don't think you deserve anything more than meme replies do you?
>>
>acting for film

Don't
>>
>>8222818
Theater acting is just so unrealistic. It's always melodramatic, which is fine for the venue but not what I want to learn, okay?
>>
>>8222925
why not
>>
You can't. Acting books refine and shape the thought-process of what you learn by attempting acting. You can't read and become an actor. That's like a football player who's never touched a football but watches games and reads books on drills. You learn by doing.

Btw, you obviously don't know shit about acting. Your knowledge of theatre acting has been limited to your high school and shitty local productions.

Theatre acting- Acting with your face
Film acting- Acting with your eyes

You are more drawn to film acting because it is about nuance and far more accessible to the viewer. It's easier to get a good performance on screen when you choose from every take to find the best. Also, with the state of current film, there's more shit than anything of value. Sort of like the difference between reading Hunger Games and reading "literature." Why do you think so man film actors head back to the stage (i.e. Denzel Washington in "Fences")?

Neither film nor theatre acting is more prestigious or important; both have their good and bad. I will say some phenomenal film actors suck on stage, but I don't know of any amazing stage actors that suck on screen.

You want to act? Take a class. Head to your local Uni or find a decent acting class that isn't ripping you off. Avoid improve and anything that charges out the ass if the instructor doesn't have solid credentials and resume. Even reading theory and shit on acting will never makes true sense to you, because you won't understand the context of a performance and the spiritual experience of it all. If you scoff at that, then you can never act.

I'm currently pursuing my M.F.A. in Directing and will be moving on next year to a PhD in Dramactic Studies.

My advice to you is to get a few scripts, read them, then get some books on script analysis. Get the ones written for the actor/director. Looking at scripts does an actor no good looking at them as a piece of literature. It can sometimes help,but it will never do what something like "Interpreting the Play Script" by Fiotsos does for an actor.

You gotta learn to think like a theatre major, not an English Major.
>>
>>8223245
If you are interested in reading about acting technique, you are talking about theater technique. You may find this out when reading books about acting. In fact, most "how to act" books are not, although sometimes helpful, written very well. If you actually want to learn how to act, audition at your local community theater or take an improv class.
I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but the best improv book on the market is "The Upright Citizens Brigade Comedy Improvisation Manual" hands down. The UCB theater in LA is considered the golden standard in the world of improv comedy, and while improv may not be "high art" it can be yield extremely authentic performances.
>>
>>8223245

I wish sage still existed. Go watch more theatre you prick.

t. Stage actor
>>
>>8223331
What about watching good acting performances and imitating them, recording yourself and trying to get them as similar as possible? Or anything else like that that I can do at home?
>>
>>8223333
I'm really not interested in improv. I want to learn how to be totally convincing and real with scripted lines.
>>
>>8223395
That's simple imitation, which at times can be a useful skill, but isn't acting. Acting is organic and starts at one of those places within or is molded by external forces (I know it sounds pedantic, but this is the shit you're asking about). Also, one of the biggest things is community. That's why you always here that term "theatre community" thrown around. You need people to see your performance and comment on it and you need people like me (people like directors and acting coaches) to see you perform live and feel what's in the air. Those people that are in the room watching you will get a whiff of something and help you to move in the right direction or stretch you and make you try something new. It's the difference between watching an iPhone recording of someone getting their ass beat online and being there as they fight. I'm not saying you can't learn a great deal at home alone, but you need a foundation and you need a context. Being in theatre is being part of a family.

If you're serious about it, you'll go take a course and give it a shot. Whether it be at school or to some professional actor giving classes, it would benefit you to start there. Also, look around for local community theaters and get involved in a production. Express your desire to act and that you want to learn. Most of them are shitty anyways with a few bright individuals, and they're always a good place for entry-level acting.
>>
>>8222732
>learning how to act

How about you get a job in manufacturing you piece
>>
>>8223402
I'm the director that's been writing walls in here and I think you've already got a good head if you want to avoid improv. It's a niche field and won't be of any benefit period to what you want to accomplish. And most improv classes are bullshit "let's play theatre-themed games" and sex jokes.
>>
>>8223430
Thanks very much for the advice!
>>
>>8223245
Never learning how to act in theatre is like never learning how to play loudly on a piano
>>
>>8223455
I did theater acting as a kid. Was in a bunch of plays. I did an audition for a film and was turned down though. It felt totally different with the camera in front of me.
>>
>>8223440
Sounds like you had some bad improv instructors. Without elevating improv to something worth pursuing as a career, it can be very useful in developing authenticity onstage. It's a good tool. It's true that imrpov doesn't directly help you interpret a script, but I still believe it can help develop composure and authentic reactions. At the very least improv training can help you try new things out when working on a show.
>>
>>8223470
to follow this up any improv instructor that spends the workshop on warmups and games instead of actual scenework should be shot.
>>
>>8223440
>>8223470
OP here. When I did theater as a kid I loved learning lines and trying to be convincing as the character. But we had to do stupid improv games every goddamn day and it made me hate it so much I didn't continue theater. I didn't think the games did anything but embarrass people.
>>
>>8223470
Not at all. As I director I just acknowledge that it's only marketable benefit is teaching you to be quick on your feet and be responsive with the situation. The problem is, those are skills that can be heightened far more effectively by simple exercises such as developing past the script the character you're playing, allowing your mind to fall into the world of the script, and taking a method acting approach to the performance. Improv is it's own beast, but it's isolated in the acting community, and the only thing improv is good for is improv.

tldr; the skills learned in improve can be greatly expanded by tried and true acting methods developed over the past hundred years
>>
>>8223477
I feel like when people hear "improv" they think "summer camp."
If you can actually find a team that can readily create internally consistent worlds and characters in a longform structure, it feels very freeing. I guess other anons had some really cringeworthy improv experiences and it turned it off, so I'm just speaking for myself when I say that improv helped me grow as an actor.
Nonetheless, if you just want to polish your acting chops in the short term, your best bet is going out for community theater (many college campuses hold open auditions). Even if you goal is film acting you will find the people you want to know in the theater.
>>
>>8223514
>the only thing improv is good for is improv.
it also comes in handy when jerry forgets his fucking cue AGAIN
>>
>>8223477
Fine, but you can't be shy or easily embarrassed if you want to act. I'm not defending improv but if performing something that could be perceived as silly embarrasses you then you won't be able to do any emotional "uncomfortable" scenes. Your performance won't be convincing if you're not into it and if you're self conscious. The audience and yourself are taken out of the moment and its just awkward and fucking terrible.

Actor here, film and theatre. You feel some serious scary things when you are acting. Not everyone can do it.
My advice, don't act.
>>
>>8223555
Any advice for getting comfortable acting in front of a camera? I was incredibly nervous during this student film audition thing. The camera really threw me after only doing plays.
>>
>>8223524
I've done both professional theatre and film. Theatre people are the best people, they CAN be extremely vicious but once everyone has their parts its unlike any sort of feeling.
Best parties too.

With film its a cold feeling, there is such a strong technical aspect that a lot of people don't really appreciate the acting side. Its like, okay you did what you were supposed to do, now lets move on.
You can still get a lot of satisfaction out of it but theatre acting is where true skills and appreciation come to light.
In my opinion.
>>
I don't think you learn how to act from a book.

You either have talent (or are good-looking) and then fake it or work on it with an instructor.

Is there any "information" that if not known would impair one's ability to act?
>>
>>8223573
This is just my petty little preference but I like theater more than film simply because when I watch it live I know they "did it all in one go."
>>8223563
Sorry, it's a boring answer: you have to practice in that context to get used to it. But it's normal to perform differently when working in differnt contexts with different technologies. I love to sing, but when it's time to record my first few takes are garbage because I'm still getting used to the headphones etc.
>>
>>8223563
It depends on what you are doing. If you have to act out a major scene, like rape or something that exposes you, then you really have to have faith in yourself and believe in the scene and what you are doing, otherwise it won't be genuine and will be shit and for nothing.

In general for acting in front of a camera, practice makes perfect (or close enough that you can fake it). Make sure you stretch to get rid of nervous energy beforehand and keep in mind that those people don't want you to fail. They hope you are the one they are looking for. You won't ever not be nervous and that is a good thing, you are alive with emotions so use it for your scene.
Especially with student films (they are just learning as well) show them that you are in control, even if you're not.
And sometimes you just have to say fuck it, and do whatever is natural.
>>
>>8223597

As an audience member, I feel so inspired whenever I watch a good performance on TV or film.
But when I watch a good performance on stage I get insanely jealous.
>>
get into improv comedy its really "in" right now
>>
Speaking of acting, how come they can't get dogs to stop wagging their tail when they're supposed to be aggressively barking? It kind of ruins the effect.
>>
File: Yf2JO11.gif (1 MB, 410x260) Image search: [Google]
Yf2JO11.gif
1 MB, 410x260
>>8223631
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.