[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this worth a read or is it just typical french garbage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: candide_voltaire_edition_1759.jpg (57 KB, 448x760) Image search: [Google]
candide_voltaire_edition_1759.jpg
57 KB, 448x760
Is this worth a read or is it just typical french garbage?
>>
>typical french garbage

that phrase doesn't bode well for you

but yes its a perfect book
>>
>>8222187
*tips*
>>
>>8222167
Why are the French so pretentious?
>>
Its fun and the ending is nice
>>
>>8222167
great book, read that shit

also real Zadig
also read Micromegas
also read Story of the Good Brahmin
in fact, just find a collection that has Candide among others in it and real all of it
>>
>>8222196
They fail in terms of every meaningful human pursuit, such as domination or commerce, so like any niche of limp wristed progressives they throw up their hands and desperately pretend to be something to look up to in terms of culture alone.
>>
>>8222167
Voltaire a shit
>>
>>8222213
Do you have autism?

>>8222196
Latin languages ALWAYS soubd prétentious when translated to english.
>>
File: yung smug.jpg (102 KB, 476x598) Image search: [Google]
yung smug.jpg
102 KB, 476x598
>>8222167
It's shitposting, but in a good way.
>>
>>8222242

opinion disregarded
>>
>>8222213
>this is how seppos justify their cultural wasteland
>>
>>8222242
They sound pretentious in the original too.
>>
>>8222211
>also real Zadig
>also read Micromegas
>also read Story of the Good Brahmin
Those are worthless compared to Candide, which is the only well-written one of the lot (I hope the humor at least isn't lost in translation). Micromegas is a pure exposition of ideas which are taken for granted and of no interest nowadays to the point where it wouldn't be worth reading if it wasn't so short; Zadig is a repetitive and largely pointless sequence of episodes half of which are copied from elsewhere with nothing added to them, and isn't even a good story - better read l'Ingenu.
>>
File: white-flag.jpg (13 KB, 366x466) Image search: [Google]
white-flag.jpg
13 KB, 366x466
>this is a 10/10 in frogistan
>>
File: la grenouille confortable.jpg (41 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
la grenouille confortable.jpg
41 KB, 499x499
>tfw cultivating your garden
>>
>>8222167
It's brilliant, especially if you have an understanding of the context it was written in. Plus, you can read it in a few hours. Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>8222287
there is humour in zadig and it's interesting when read as an attempt of voltaire's to reconcile leibniz' ideas of providence
>>
It takes an hour to read anon what do you have to lose.

Plus this is pleb as fuck but I read it in high school and it changed my whole outlook from 'look how sad and smart and depressed I am' to 'wew lad' so get on it. Might do some work for ya
>>
>>8222167
No

Let me make a list of books that aren't worth it

>Candide
>Norwegian Wood
>Madame Bovary
>Ethan Frome
>Sorrows Of Young Werther
>Spoils Of Poynton
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.