[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Charles Bukowski
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: bukowski-c-1981-by-mark-hanauer.jpg (166 KB, 650x883) Image search: [Google]
bukowski-c-1981-by-mark-hanauer.jpg
166 KB, 650x883
yay or nay?
Are the novels worth checking out?
>>
nay
>>
nay
>>
It's 'yea', for the love of Allah
>>
>>8222076
>>8222082
nay
>>
He will give you a boner and you will want to spoil your life into a degenerate drinking scoundrel afterward or during. If your into that sort of thing then yeah if not then no.

Worth checking out, he has a plain straightforward way of writing but no literary merit in my opinion.
>>
>>8222071

Literal horse-faced wife-beating plebeian and a faux-profound cunt to boot.
>>
If you don't expect high literature you'll get fun stuff with some feels that's also pretty relatable if you're a boozy bottomdweller.

I think a lot of people hate him for his fanbase though.
>>
>>8222158
im glad this site is anonymous
>>
>>8222253
>>8222267
fucking hell this is it im gonna kill myself see you in another life /lit/
>>
>>8222158
his fan base and for him, this is not a case of the source being not that bad like dfw
>>
>>8222276
buk also always wrote about how he wanted to kill himself, but he kept chickening out and left his much younger wife to tend after him while he decayed and beat her
>>
>>8222267
>>8222276
What are you doing?
>>
>>8222071
Novel, not so much (unless you're really into his stuff). As for short stories, check out Tales of Ordinary Madness. You have to sort through some real garbage, but there are plenty of hidden gems.
>>
I've read all of his work, always sort of enjoyed it, but I wouldn't consider any of it particularly good. Yet I would be willing to reread it all.
>>
Sort of related but there's a neat song about him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_B2IOUYSw
>>
File: goti.png (112 KB, 950x640) Image search: [Google]
goti.png
112 KB, 950x640
>>
File: spot the retriver.png (105 KB, 602x378) Image search: [Google]
spot the retriver.png
105 KB, 602x378
>>8222304
And this is the man praised as the most macho manly man ever? Really?

He's a fucking meme author to answer your question, OP.
>>
>>8224204
Good taste.
>>
>>8224208
I'd actually like a list of my character flaws.

Also, Bukowski is an inferior copy of Henry Miller, who himself was an inferior copy of CĂ©line.
>>
>>8224317
>praised as the most macho manly man ever
No one who read him thinks that. He isn't a macho man, he's a cynic man. He saw how the world is.
>>
File: 1200486986.jpg (114 KB, 640x628) Image search: [Google]
1200486986.jpg
114 KB, 640x628
>>8224630
>implying there's objective truth
>>
>>8224644
>implying there isn't

[enter long winded philosophical debate here]
You win. Congrats.
>>
>>8224208
Spooks begone!

The people who like Bukowski really put me off reading him.

They are always fedora-esque type guys who are clearly struggling with their need to seem masculine in some way.

Usually a nerdy faggot who thinks drinking sazeracs and reading Hemingway makes him masculine and deep. It's just cringe.
>>
>>8222071
It's boring shit.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.