[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you internalize philosophy or very prose-heavy writing,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: images.png (8 KB, 238x211) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8 KB, 238x211
How do you internalize philosophy or very prose-heavy writing, and then apply it to life?

I feel as if i am only recognizing what i am reading on the surface and am not absorbing the ideas presented to me in word fully, and so am wasting my time reading.

I've only begun reading outside of non-fiction recently, and have been set on finishing "The Ego and It's Own". Is this too heavy to start with?

My mind feels clouded and confused when reading.
>>
>>8221326

Read it, then think about it, until it becomes essentially organic. Schopenhauer put it well, but I can't find the aphorism right now.

Basically, until you make a thought (or piece of knowledge) your own, it is essentially a prosthetic limb.

I've been very guilty of 'reading without thinking'. I recently read Beyond Good & Evil, and would be hard-pressed to tell you anything I remember.
>>
My sincere advice is to read Plato.
>>
If I'm feeling crazy I'll take notes on what I'm reading. Helps a little
>>
>>8221326

Try reading Programming for Dummies for a change.
>>
why do you damn kids keep pushing this Stirner bullcrap? people like OP actually listen to you dickholes and end up worse off.
>>
>>8221326
Listen to supplementary lectures on it. YouTube is your friend.
Imagine philosophy as a massive, continuous dialogue. Start with the PreSocratics if you really want to make this your life or just read an anthology like everybody else
>>
The worst thing /lit/ has ever done is encourage people to read philosophy way out of their understanding.

Stirner is absolutely not a starting point

THE GREEKS
>>
>>8221429
>implying understanding plato is easy
>>
>>8221444
>implying that this was implied
>>
File: TaoWisdom.jpg (11 KB, 236x235) Image search: [Google]
TaoWisdom.jpg
11 KB, 236x235
Persevere.

With time and maturity you will begin to grasp philosophy. Eventually you'll move beyond treating philosophy like it's a test and you need to find the right answers. Rather, you'll begin developing techniques for understanding and applying ideas in your life.

Some philosophy is easier to begin applying to your life. The Tao te Ching is a good example: simple enough to understand at the superficial level, but also deep enough you'll constantly see relevant examples in your life.
>>
>>8221444
"Understanding Plato" is very different from just trying to introduce yourself to philosophy.
Plato will start you thinking about the right things in the right ways. It's a good intro.
From there I wouldn't go straight to Stirner or Kant or something, go on to Mill or Hume (maybe my personal favorite).

Read bits and selections from authors, like read about the categorical imperative from Kant, then decide if you want to dive into the deep end.
Sample until you find an author whose ideas intrigue you and who you feel comfortable reading, and then read more of them. It will all get easier as you go.
>>
>>8221326
As far as the question of applying it to life goes, two things that help me tremendously are keeping a journal/diary and meditating.
The journal helps you write down stuff as you think about it throughout the day. Meditation helps you connect abstract philosophical concepts with your life.
I don't clear my mind so much as calm it and carefully parce through my thoughts so maybe it works different for everyone.
>>
>>8221326
>philosophy
>apply it to life
Ahaha, what the fuck?! Philosophy isn't mechanics or medicine to have a real life application.
>>
File: Stirner Pill.jpg (43 KB, 750x534) Image search: [Google]
Stirner Pill.jpg
43 KB, 750x534
>>8221411
Stirner has ruined my life.
>>
>>8221326

Sounds like you're a retard. I'd just give up on reading, and apply for a position at the local license plate factory.
>>
You don't apply shit you read. You just live your life, dipshit. Life teaches you the shit you gotta learn, that may come from a book, but most of the times it doesn't. A book that makes sense is a book that refers to something you are able to recognize. If you feel oh so inspired by the shit you read and do nothing that's only because it's only tackling your sick childish fantasies.
>>
>>8223025
you sound like a pleasant guy
>>
>>8221429
Admittedly i started with Plato and the cynics, but what exactly is difficult about Stirner? I found his work to be pretty light reading.
>>
>>8221326
read philosophy in nature. it is helpful to remember that you are a part of nature, as much as it is a part of you.
>>
>>8221382
wow anon, you sure are a rascal. taking notes whilst reading? how does this madman even do it!
>>
>>8223014
Stirner just comes along to me as an edgy faggot to be quite honest
>>
File: 1467275402231.png (76 KB, 1017x709) Image search: [Google]
1467275402231.png
76 KB, 1017x709
>>8224470
>>
>>8221326
Read critically, and s l o w l y. srsly, go over shit multiple times and internalize it.
>>
>>8223070
Thanks.
>>
>>8224477
What a fucking homo
>>
>>8224553
Your schadenfreude may fade eventually.
>>
>>8224477
fuck he sounds like that one guy at uni that thinks he is so fucking smart he has to speak in convoluted terms to prove a simple point...

I stand by what I said, he was an edgy faggot
>>
>>8224598
If only he had the clarity of Hegel.
>>
>>8224607
>Hegel
>clarity

I still like him more than Stirner tho
>>
>>8224598
>convoluted
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.