[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is my summer reading list for university. As a french international
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: srlist.png (226 KB, 905x2001) Image search: [Google]
srlist.png
226 KB, 905x2001
This is my summer reading list for university. As a french international student I am not familiar with most of these anglo authors, outside of Borges' Aleph - which I've already read - and Durkheim's The Rules of Sociological Method - which I am planning to read in French. What books should I bother with, /lit/ ?

Also, what do you think of the list in general? I know nothing about the authors but some of those titles irritate me. Feel free to talk shit about it if it deserves the hate.
>>
/sci/ here,

Gowers Very Short Intro to Mathematics is actually quite good and also quite short. He's a well respected mathematician and actually knows how to write. Feynman's Six Easy Pieces is also worth a read. The rest of the "science" curriculum is trash, especially Brian Greene. Avoid.

enfin, nike ta mere espece d'encule :^)
>>
Koestler is actually a fantastic author and Nobel winner (for Darkness at Noon). Sleepwalkers is a fun book. At least check out the description.

C.P. Snow is a classic as well but somewhat dated, and a bit one-sided. Check out the Baden neo-Kantians and the Geisteswissenschaften and Naturwissenschaften division in addition - as a Frenchman, you are probably well aware of the clout of the "human sciences." C.P. Snow is representative of the Anglosphere, which tends strongly in the opposite direction with neo-positivist fixations and science fetishism.

Berger and Luckmann is a classic of American sociology but has been done elsewhere in about a dozen other forms that should be familiar to any Frenchman.
>>
>>8220692
thank you for your enlightening insights my man!
(suce moi fils de pute)

>>8220713
I am checking out the description for each and every one of these books, don't worry. Just gathering /lit/'s opinion.
I will look into the bibliography of those german philosophers, thank you!
>>
>>8220663
Which studies are you are you following ? Sociology or science ?
>>
Levi's The Pediodic Table great and pretty much a classic at this point. Also do not read it on the beach.

I don't think you can go wrong with Ecos non-fiction either.
>>
>>8220783
I intend to study maths and philosophy

>>8220810
thanks
>>
>>8220824
It's strange because many of these books are about physics/engineering or sociology.
I mean, we could be expecting more formal logic and pure math, isn't it ?
Also,
>no Russell
>no Frege
>>
>>8220907
Well, I guess it's a little more complicated than that. The name of the course is Arts & Sciences and within this course I intend to study maths and philosophy, and maybe some physics and computer science. I haven't decided yet. But it is possible to study sociology or biology as well.
I should have been more precise: the pathways that interest me the most in the course are Cultures and Science & Engineering. I don't really care about Societies and Health & Environment, unless I change my mind.

What's a good introduction to Russell? I am reading a book about Gödel and his name is frequently mentioned.
>>
>>8220951
>What's a good introduction to Russell?

The Problems of Philosophy is a good place to start because it's very short. Why I Am Not a Christian is good if you're a tipper of the hats (it actually was very ahead of its time), The Conquest of Happiness is also very interesting.

He wrote a big long History of Western Philosophy that is also good but he shits on some peoples opinions and enforces his own so it gets a fair amount of hate.

The External Links at the bottom of his english wikipedia page has a lot of his works available.

I'd also recommend The Mathematical Experience by Reuben and Hirsch if you haven't read it yet.

Finalement, t'est un gros idiot.
>>
>>8221097
>t'est
qu'est-ce qui te fais dire ça?
>>
>>8221115
>>8221097
>t'est
>qu'est-ce qui te fais dire
>>
>>8220663
I read Physics for Future Presidents because I was curious about it. Short read, but accurate and interesting. Gaia theory is still a classic, although just as controversial as when it was released.
>>
>>8220907
What's a good introduction to Frege?
>>
>>8221297
precisely :^)
>>
File: ln.k .k.png (125 KB, 396x294) Image search: [Google]
ln.k .k.png
125 KB, 396x294
skip Taleb and Gladwell
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.