[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Readings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: steptoe.jpg (15 KB, 285x214) Image search: [Google]
steptoe.jpg
15 KB, 285x214
Been writing poetry for 10+ years, next week I'm doing a reading in a bookshop in front of about 50 people.

There's 3-4 guest poets, then an open mic. Usually the audience is appreciative.

Any advice?
>>
>>8219789
Advice on what? Presumably you know how to read out loud
>>
>>8219789
Make eye contact with one person and hold it for the entire reading.
>>
>>8219789
Post some material, anon.
>>
>>8219789
If you've never talked in front of people, make sure not to read too fast.
>>
>>8219789
record your reading aloud, and listen to it to see if it's not fucking horrible. then, when your self esteem is thoroughly destroyed by your incessant self doubt, skimp out on the open mic night, and succumb to your addictions.
>>
File: carolinaspringbeauty.png (515 KB, 720x483) Image search: [Google]
carolinaspringbeauty.png
515 KB, 720x483
>>8219789
ive done readings of both my own poetry and poetry better than mine. Record yourself practicing, then listen to the recording. Identify things you don't like, work on them.

If you have trouble speaking to crowds, speak to the wall in the back. Make it look like you're making eye contact with people in the crowd, but you'll really be looking at various walls.

it's not difficult, and it's not a comedy show meaning you'll most likely not have a drunk crowd who's not afraid to tell you that you suck. Poetry crowds are usually nice, even if somehow you do end up sucking at something as simple as reading.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.