[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some novels I can read on the philosophy that the "mask"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: MM2.png (74 KB, 300x276) Image search: [Google]
MM2.png
74 KB, 300x276
What are some novels I can read on the philosophy that the "mask" you wear is more important than the truth that's inside, because your mask is what has an affect on the world and the way people see you? What is this type of philosophy called? I asked because I recently completed the videogame "Majora's Mask," and that was a heavy theme in it, so I want to do more research on it.
>>
>>8219628
Selfish by Kim Kardashian.
>>
>>8219628
Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima

It was only written in 1949 too. Pretty recent novel.
>>
>>8219632
What could I possibly learn from this?
>>
>>8219637
Thank you
>>
>>8219639
Whatever your mind is smart enough to deduct
>>
>>8219628
Not novels, but sociology : a lot of thing from Symbolic interactionism may interest you. You could read "The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life" by Goffman.
>>
Pirandello approaches the concept of identity and its role in relationships with other people.
>>
>>8219628
Lacan
>>
>>8219628
Zizek said otherwise
>>
>>8219639

As physical evidence that Spengler was on to something.
>>
>>8219628

As weird as this sounds: Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen. She addresses acting and that sort of thing, and how people feel compelled to transform themselves into characters or that whole bullshit when acting, but instead she talks about it as a natural change of masks. In life, we wear one mask for the mailman and another for the doctor and another for your mother. All that shit. Maybe helpful.
>>
mother night by kurt vonnegut
>>
>>8219628
Great game. It's one of the few zelda games with real depth and darkness to it.
>>
Picture of Dorian Gray? Quite poignant considering the current zeitgeist...
>>
>>8219628
>only what affects others is important

Your extroversion is showing
>>
>>8219943
>games with real depth
>>
>>8219628
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut definitely, in my opinion his best book
>>
>>8219632
this is actually a good response.
>>
Normie tier literature, but the concept is explored in Lord of the Flies
>>
>>8219632
/thread

It wont be more concrete than this
>>
>>8220784
What's wrong with extroversion?
>>
>>8221650

Too much emphasis on extroversion depreciates internal experience.

The most important things that have happened today have not occurred "out there" in the Plains of Anatolia, or the Straits of Singapore, or the corridors of the Pentagon, but in your own soul. That vast unexplored region, itself no more studied than the dark side of a far off planet is some distant galaxy.
>>
>>8219628
The Prince by Machiavelli
>>
do you find sometimes that one arm feels longer than the other?
>>
>>8219632
10$ have been deposited to your account
>>
>>8221806
thanks
>>
Hamlet, the play scene.

The realist novels of the1800's also touch on the theme of having to give a false image of yourself to others, although their conclusions are probably no the ones you are looking for. Cousin Basilio, by Eça, for instance, deals with a woman who's cheated on her husband and get obsessed with the fact that her maid might discover it, and thus end her false image of a good wife.
>>
A novel is never anything but a philosophy in a story.

So just read Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray.
>>
>>8219628
the minister's black veil by hawthorne!
>>
File: 1318456833223.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1318456833223.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>8221714

Damn that's deep son
>>
>>8219628

Marxism and psychoanalysis generally cover this sort of "feeling."
>>
File: 1435738597236.jpg (31 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1435738597236.jpg
31 KB, 259x194
>>8219628
the Slovene has a lot to say about this rt
>>
To save you time from thinking too long and hard on this subject OP, I recommend an article from The New York Times that pretty much sums up to : don't be yourself, be sincere.

So, don't be what others want to see in you, don't be what you really are, be who you want to be...
>>
So you want to know why nobody cared who you were before you put on the mask?
>>
File: 1463050773177.gif (4 MB, 344x203) Image search: [Google]
1463050773177.gif
4 MB, 344x203
>>8224614
there it is
>>
>>8219628
It's more like the inverse of what you're looking for, but the eschaton game scene from Infinite Jest

It's a hilarious moment in which personal motivations gradually bleed into the tactics behind in-game nuclear warfare, eventually resulting in a complete global catastrophe and out-game chaos
>>
>>8219847
zizek is a living meme
>>
>>8219628
that's a pretty big theme in A Song of Ice and Fire.
>>
>>8224760
Whatever *sniff*
>>
>>8219628
>>
>>8219637
Seconding considering what you've described OP is a much more distinctly Japanese concept that anything else.In fact just read a bunch of Japanese lit in translation.
>>
>>8224768
don't be sad, every philospher was probably considered a meme in their lifetime...

the only one that I can say was objectively the embodiement of the concept of the Meme was fucking Diogenes... he was like imageboard culture made flesh
>>
>>8219847
What are you talking about? Zizek would agree with OP. His statements about the 'masks' we adopt on social media testifies to this.
>>
This right here, one of the greatest works of literature.

"O senor," said Don Antonio, "may God forgive you the wrong you have done the whole world in trying to bring the most amusing madman in it back to his senses. Do you not see, senor, that the gain by Don Quixote's sanity can never equal the enjoyment his crazies give? But my belief is that all the senor bachelor's pains will be of no avail to bring a man so hopelessly cracked to his senses again; and if it were not uncharitable, I would say may Don Quixote never be cured, for by his recovery we lose not only his own drolleries, but his squire Sancho Panza's too, any one of which is enough to turn melancholy itself into merriment."
>>
>>8221977

you're a bad reader.
>>
>>8224850

At least elaborate if you're going to say something like that
>>
>>8224802
>Diogenes... he was like imageboard culture made flesh
This is what pop culture does to your brain.
>>
>>8224802
>memes are bad
Clearly you are so sheltered by the imageboard culture you seems so ready to berate, that you don't actually know what its functional definition is in real academic/scientific discourses.

Also, all the knowledge we have of Diogenes is through folk tales. And even in those myths he is portrayed to be quite the astute and insightful philosopher. Are you retarded?
>>
>>8221714

How does one explore the soul then? I'm genuinely curious. Can anyone suggest some lit that's not pseudo-newage gobbledygook?
>>
>>8224870
>>8224880
>implying I said memes are bad

and yes while Diogenes is indeed portrayed as a very intelligent and logical fellow in folk tales is his manner of discourse by what I compare him to an imageboard culture, where you can find intelligent fellows that care not about how autist or spergy they sound but share their thoughts with the collective, it's the cynical behaviour why I compare him to imageboards

now that I think of it, it was a poor analogy, but from the "normie" point of view I don't think it was too farfetched
>>
>>8224902
>>implying I said memes are bad
>implying I was implying
>>
>>8224927
>implying implications
>>
>>8224938
>implying plural
>>
>>8224802
How did you not get the joke?
>>
>>8219628
But you choose the mask, and the mask is based on your idea of what a person should be. The mask is just another part of you anon.

Also Notes from the Undergrpund
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.