[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the phenomenon of man is totally next level shit. brilliant synthesis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 41OJ1E5PIyL.jpg (32 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
41OJ1E5PIyL.jpg
32 KB, 331x500
the phenomenon of man is totally next level shit. brilliant synthesis of theology, globalization theory, post-industrial theory, and transhumanism. so so ahead of its time. it (and the other works if Teilhard de Chardin) not only reconciles Religion and Science, it forms a rich independent theological theory around the reconciliation of the two. One that In my opinion is evidence for the extreme potential of religious modernism. Evidence that it can be something not about casting away of spirituality and religiosity in the modern world, but using the innovations of the modern world to enhance and protect religion.

prove me wrong

pro tip: you can't
>>
>>8218027
>theology
gay

>globalization theory
gay

>post-industrial theory
okay

>transhumanism
gay

Next.
>>
>>8218036
kys
>>
>look at its wikipedia page
>first two mentioned reviews are from british scientists
>they're scathing

Is this just more contintental guff?
>>
I really want to read it for the depth of thought but I just can't get past the 'must tie everything to Christ' aspect of it. Not even trying to be a Reddit athiest jackanape, I love a lot of religious thought despite being a materialist but the literal story of Christ is just so preposterous that I have a hard time taking something like this seriously. I wish it was written by a Jew of Spinoza's ilk or a Buddhist or a Taoist or even, god help me, a Sufi Muslim. Anyone who could explain their mystical view of the universe without having to account for literal miracles.
>>
>>8218078
you tell me
>>
is this the kid of thing you can just jump into or are there prerequisite readings?
>>
>>8218382
the bible :^)))))))
>>
File: teilhard.jpg (52 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
teilhard.jpg
52 KB, 850x400
Teilhard anticipates the internet (the noosphere) and provides a useful model to predict future syntheses of man and technology. I've been waiting for some Lesswrongian to stumble on it (*cough* Scott Alexander *cough*) since it tentatively grapples with the fundamentals of timeless decision theory. His whole theory of the Omega Point is also good for scifi.

His ideas suggest panpsychism or metempsychosis, which the Church has never dogmatically defined beyond theological speculation.

I suspect there are more modern thinkers influenced by his ideas than let on.
>>
>>8218808
nice meme kid
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.