[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Infinite Jest anything but a meme? What's the charm of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1466210961171.gif (2 MB, 320x384) Image search: [Google]
1466210961171.gif
2 MB, 320x384
Is Infinite Jest anything but a meme? What's the charm of a novel that no one can understand, and which only appeal is the absurd?
>>
>>8217810
>What's the charm of a novel that no one can understand

what made you think it's incomprehensible

are you sure you're not confusing it with finnegans wake
>>
Its not hard to understand. Its just long and involved and ambiguous.
>>
>>8217810
IJ ain't a meme mate. Do yourself a favour, read it, read it to your kids as a bedtime story and all.
>>
It's a book that a lot of people love and a lot of people hate. There's no consensus anywhere in every group from plebs and pseuds to respected academics and critics. Some people on this board tell you to read it as a meme, some people are recommending it sincerely. You should probably read it, because it's very influential, and basically every new author writing today who is conscious of it is responding to it either by building on what it was trying to be or by actively rejecting it, but don't assume that there's anything in the neighbourhood of a 'correct' or even prevailing opinion about whether it's the worst or best book of the last 30 years.
>>
>>8217810
>Is Infinite Jest anything but a meme?

Yes, it is also a book.
Hope that helps.
>>
>>8217810
Its appeal, and DFW's genius, is in poeticizing the contemporary plebeian dilemmas and problems of life. Can't take life seriously? Smoke weed? Watch too much TV? Unable to feel joy? Ignorant about art? DFW created literature just for you.

Of course once you get past all of the above his appeal is limited, which is one of the main reasons no writers really champion him (other than his bro Jon Franzen)
>>
>>8217810
>no one can understand
Maybe you're just stupid
>>
>>8217810
Lol it isn't hard to understand. It just offers poor existential advice and is so fucking long winded.
>>
>>8217810
>a novel that no one can understand
Jesus, English is not my native language and even I can understand that book. So much for American education.
>>
>>8217810
When an author kills themself is when I know not to bother with their work. If you don't get that than you need to get over your own suicidal thinking.
>>
>>8217810

who is this cutes patoots
>>
It's actually pretty good and if you're having trouble understanding it a guy in a wheel chair and a CIA dude basically explain the thematic thrust at dotted intervals, I think. Also if you watch the uncut interview he basically explains what it's about - plus this German guy also explains the theme...it's actually full of people who are just like " Yeah but don't you think that..." the impact is in seeing these idea play out in weird ways e.g the teaching of the power to choose as redemptive in AA, I thought.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 1000x562
>>8218372
>no writers really champion him
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.