[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here want to talk about how amazing this book is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1232454364574568658.jpg (23 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
1232454364574568658.jpg
23 KB, 400x430
Anyone here want to talk about how amazing this book is?
>>
Its good, im glad p/v came out with their superb translation so that now we monoglots can hear what dostoxjevski actually sounded like.
>>
>>8217456
killed the tread in a single post

thanks
>>
>>8217456
What's this you're talking about now?
>>
>>8217426
how was it senpai? Looks interesting.
>>
>>8217472
It's easily the comfiest book I've ever read.
>>
>>8217456
What is P/V?

>>8217426
Great novel OP
>>
>>8217542
Just realized, its Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhosky
>>
>>8217426
This is easily the least "Dostoevsky" of all of his works, it's got a very different feel to it I found
>>
>>8217559
I agree. Doesn't feel dostoievskian at all. Still a great book
>>
Made it seem like prisoners back then had it easy.
>>
It's certainly a great book. I was surprised that the prison conditions described in it weren't half as bad as I expected they'd be.
>>
>>8217893
20th century was the worst in human history.
>>
>>8217910

What are you saying?
>>
I think most of his characters from Brothers Karamazov and the Idiot come from Memoirs from the House of the Dead. Probably written to explore archetypes.
>>
>wow poor people don't think about deep things when they're imprisoned
>i'm wasting my time speaking to them
>i'm such a fine gentleman
>life is easy when you can read alone
What was the point of this book? I've read it about ten years ago and quite honestly that's all I remember. It's like dosto gathered every ridicule traits of his personality and put them into an inferior version of Ivan Denisovich.
>>
>>8217973

Sounds like you haven't even read the book. He points out many times that he's ostracized for being a gentleman and that he would prefer to be comrades with them.

"The capital, the most important point of all is, that after a couple of hours or so, every new-comer to a convict establishment, who is of the lower class, shakes down into equality with the rest; he is at home among them, he has his "freedom" of this city of the enslaved, this community of convicted scoundrels, in which one man is superficially like every other man; he understands and is understood, he is looked upon by everybody as one of themselves. Now all this is not so in the case of the nobleman. However kindly, just-minded, intelligent a man of the higher class may be, every soul there will hate and despise him during long years; they will neither understand nor believe in him, not one whit. He will be neither friend nor comrade in their eyes; if he can get them to stop insulting him it will be as much as he can do, but he will be alien to them from the first to the last, he will have to feel the grief of a ceaseless, hopeless, causeless solitude and sequestration. Sometimes it is the case that sheer ill-will on the part of the prisoners has nothing to do with bringing about this state of things, it simply cannot be helped; the nobleman is not one of the gang, and there's the whole secret."
>>
>>8217426
Well, it's Dostoevsky.
>>
>>8217973
>>8217981
I agree. Dostoevsky created a character out of his first impression but slowly learned that everyone was equal and integrated this into the development of his character. He mentions the other prisoners contempt for him all throughout the book, the character never feels that he is one of them and he confirms this when one of the prisoners he has made friends with with tells him exactly that.

Also Dostoevsky is not the main character remember that although this is his account of his imprisonment it is still fiction and I'm not so sure that his name was Ivan.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.