[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there a huge disconnect / blind spot / willful ignorance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 7948372.png (26 KB, 345x504) Image search: [Google]
7948372.png
26 KB, 345x504
Why is there a huge disconnect / blind spot / willful ignorance over literature as "objectively judged art" and literature as "part of the entertainment industry" and / or as completely subjective in quality? I think it's because of pseudo intellectual and pretentious posturing from the people on this board.

You pretend that literature is the former when it is the latter. You use the endorsement stamp of a large enough publisher as a sign of minimum quality even though we live in the age of the internet, which allows a huge diversity in the types of content available to read and their distribution. You're lucky that you were born a long time after the invention of the printing press, otherwise your "bar for art" would have to be explained within the context of a previous disruptive technology that you blindly accept.

I think the NEET caricature annoys this board a lot. /lit/ tries to portray reading as a worthwhile and enriching end in itself, yet the extreme version of the "reader" (ignoring anyone who was born rich) is seen with disgust and disrespect. Getting /lit/ to admit that going outside to learn about the human condition is a valid strategy is tricky and I don't think that I have ever managed it.

I could go on but I'll end now by mentioning how I think seeing the worship of the academia-media-publishing industrial complex on this board mainly reminds me of Steinbeck's quote about Americans being millionaires temporarily down on their luck. /lit/ is desperate for the industry's stamp of approval, and associates it with the works of the Western Canon (ironically including books such as The Republic) even as it is responsible for the horrific YA and alt-lit / Mira-Tao trends.
>>
>it's the academia-media-publishing industrial complex retard again

how's community college going for you buddy?
>>
>>8217196
Stop pushing your shitty terminology you professional shitposter
>>
>>8217196
Nice blog post.
>>
Oh look, it's another intellectual lightweight who has the temerity not to investigate a subject before spouting off.

>Walter Benjamin? Who's that?
>The canon was invented whole-cloth, I tell you!
>Relativism means my opinion is the right one!
>THE WORLD ENDS WITH 4CHAN
>>
>>8217196
Instead of trying to justify it why don't you just accept the fact that you're a miserable philistine incapable of joy and find a new thing to do. Maybe join an intermural hoops league, the exercise is great, plus I heard theres loads to be learned about the human condition. 4 quarters of sweaty balls bouncing on your thighs and highfives >>>>> Plato.
>>
>how I think seeing the worship of the academia-media-publishing industrial complex on this board
>mainly reminds me of Steinbeck's quote about Americans being millionaires temporarily down on their luck
>associates it with the works of the Western Canon
>(ironically including books such as The Republic)
>even as it is responsible for the horrific YA and alt-lit / Mira-Tao trends.
yikes
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.