[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst book you've ever read, and regret even finishing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: mlarcanum.jpg (42 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
mlarcanum.jpg
42 KB, 150x200
Worst book you've ever read, and regret even finishing.
>>
>>8217035
Worst book I've ever read was Hunger Games. I didn't even finish it, put it down after the second page because the prose was so terrible.
>>
>>8217092

It might be for me, at reast in recent years. I finished it though, since I bought it for an airplane trip.

You should have kept going, after a while it turns into such a shitfest it's actually entertaining in a so-bad-its-good way.
>>
>>8217092
>>8217117
I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in by observations/analysis on the poor form of writing on display in the Hunger Games series of novels.

Poorly done descriptions (ever heard of less is more? Chill with the adjectives mate!) absolutely pedestrian dialogue and as for the awareness of the "show don't tell" aspect of plot driven narrative? Ha!

Enlightened gentlemen like is can really see through this weak trash.

And don't get me started on the Da Vinci code, am I right?
>>
>>8217035
Ender's Game. Oy Vey.
>>
>>8217130
About the overuse of adjectives: I feel like maybe the education system (mainly middle to high school or the equivalent) has something to do with this. From what I remember, teachers were always telling their students to explain every detail when they were writing, and use countless adjectives and descriptors. Maybe their style carries over from that, either to cater to kids that write in this style at school, or because they haven't taken a college-level writing course (most of which stress the "less is more" argument from day one).
>>
>>8217035
Anything by Kafka.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.