[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of my poems just got accepted for publication to a literary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1452137702599.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452137702599.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
One of my poems just got accepted for publication to a literary journal. The publishers are asking for a short bio and I'm way too autistic to know what to write. The fuck is my bio supposed to be? I've never been published before and I have 0 previous writing credits.
>>
>>8216096
Congrats.

And relax man. Look in the journal and see what other poets bios tend to include.

They probably want to know your age, location, experience, background etc. in as much detail as the wordcount warrants.
>>
Anon lives with his 14 year old daughter in California. In his spare time, he contributes to his local lepidopteran society and art house cinema.
>>
>>8216104
I literally have zero experience in literary ventures which is what I'm concerned about. I googled what a good bio would be and the first page had this as a good example: Karina Sims is a 26-year-old writer from Beaver Falls, British Columbia, Canada. She is the author of many short stories and an unpublished novel. Her interests include: long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners, world domination and cannibalism.

Which tells me this person has no idea what they're talking about.
>>
make your bio a poem, they'll like it :^)
>>
>>8216096
>>8216109
Congratulations, anon. I'm jealous.

If you've done nothing with your life, you can make some stuff up, but nothing that can be "exposed" when you're famous and invited to every talk-show on the planet. Embellish a bit, and so.

Your example was fine up until the blogesque "humour"
>>
>>8216110
yeah get really quirky and maybe hold up a spork
>>
>>8216118
Yeah the ending was ass. Thanks man. I'm gonna have to embelish. I go to school but I've never held a job worth mentioning.
>>
>>8216096
Don't get fooled into writing more then two lines.
Just go with "Name Surname (birth date) is a poet/writer/playwright. This is his first publication."

I do it like that and get compliments, because it's sets you apart from pretentious fucks like the example in >>8216109

Later on you can add RELEVANT publications. Don't mention blogs unless they are on par with paper magazines. Don't talk about books that don't exist yet. Don't mention reading or venues where you performed, unless they matter.
>>
File: daughter-roll.jpg (445 KB, 1600x1400) Image search: [Google]
daughter-roll.jpg
445 KB, 1600x1400
>>8216105
>14 year old daughter
>>
I've seen literary bios that go into what kind of things the author enjoys—books, movies, hobbies, pets, etc.—and their plans for the future.
>>
>>8216096
You have to lie, and tell them you are a black woman.
>>
[Name] is x years old. He grew up in [hometown] and after studying [subject] at [university], moved to [current city] to work as [profession]. He writes [genres] (eg short stories, poetry, working on a novel). This is his first time being published.

There you go. No reader gives a fuck about these and they exist just because the writers want to feel like people actually care about their personal lives. The editors will publish it no matter how bland it is.

Congrats on being accepted, though.
>>
>>8216126
Word. I was thinking I should go with the conservative approach. Right now I have basically this: "Name Surname is a poet born (birth date). He is currently a senior at (college I'm attending) in (where the school is located). This is his first publication."
>>
>>8216129

The fuck's wrong with 6?
>>
>>8216143
I'm not the quoted but I like it.

>>8216140
too long
>>
>>8216143
This works. Maybe add what you're studying, but it's got all the information you really need.
>>
>>8216140
I certainly don't give a fuck about them but I'm sperging out pretty hard about my own.
>>
>>8216150
Doesn't matter, because you didn't even get a daughter.
>>
>>8216151
>>8216154
thanks guys. I'll add what I'm studying then send it off.
>>
>>8216129
rolling

>please be 8
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.