[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
reference-heavy fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 26nomus3.jpg (162 KB, 1116x801) Image search: [Google]
26nomus3.jpg
162 KB, 1116x801
I'm interested in fiction that is chock-full of esoteric references and terms. In other words, authors who do a lot of name-dropping. Books like The Recognitions, Ulysses, Against Nature, or Pynchon novels come to mind (though preferably not as esoteric as Ulysses, please). I enjoy books like this because A) there's an undeniable satisfaction I get when I understand the reference, almost like a reward for reading about the reference in the past and B) it is a great way to become familiar with new topics and ideas. What have you got, anons?
>>
>>8215996
Dante
>>
>>8216004
Of course, should have included him with the names mentioned :p
>>
Moby-Dick
The Waste Land
>>
>>8215996
Check out Lemprière's Dictionary by Lawrence Norfolk. About a guy writing a mythological encyclopedia in 16th-century France. Amazing story chock-full of myth and history. Also apparently the weather is historically accurate to the minute.
>>
casanova's autobiography
>>
Agape Agape
>>
>>8215996

Ready Player One and Family Guy.
>>
>>8216260
*scoffs* umm... can our brows even see eachother? im worried they're too far apart.
>>
>>8216260
honestly though, you're not wrong, i'm just not very interested in being a nerd in the 80's and pop-culture references
>>
>>8215996
e.m. forster
goethe
t.s. eliot
malcolm lowry
>>
>>8216213
dis
>>
>>8215996
Finnegans Wake is the last boss of this. I think it even had the altoids slogan in it.
>>
>>8216665
honestly joyce is just too much of a chore to try to comprehend, i need to build my arsenal before i take on another of his books again
>>
If you are fond of historical as well as literary and esoteric references, by all means read Umberto Eco. I suggest you start with The Name of the Rose. If you enjoy it, you can go on with Foucault's Pendulum(which is my favorite) and if by then you have grown fond of Eco's style, then maybe you could also read Baudolino and The Island of the Day Before.
>>
>>8217906
Are you me? I stopped by to give that exact response. Anyway, seconded. Eco is your man.
>>
File: 1367910625867.jpg (37 KB, 360x479) Image search: [Google]
1367910625867.jpg
37 KB, 360x479
>>8215996
Under the Volcano
House of Leaves
Ficciones
Ready Player One
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.