[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When is the appropriate age to start introducing your children
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: stern luke skywalker.jpg (9 KB, 255x364) Image search: [Google]
stern luke skywalker.jpg
9 KB, 255x364
When is the appropriate age to start introducing your children to the Greeks? I've started reading The Republic to my 6 year old and he doesn't seem to be getting it despite it being easily the most understandable of Plato's works. Is he doomed to be a pleb for life?
>>
If you really want to start little kids on the Greeks, read them Aesop's fables. Maybe introduce them to some of Plato's analogies (the cave, etc.).

Once they've finished those you should be able to move them onto Hegel and Lacan.
>>
File: Bill.jpg (104 KB, 800x609) Image search: [Google]
Bill.jpg
104 KB, 800x609
>not reading them fables or myths
>>
Did you read him Homer, Hesiod, Protagoras, Pythagoras, Socrates, and Heraclitus first? If not, it's your fault he doesn't understand it.
>>
>>8214998
start with the fables
>>
>>8215078
>Socrates
Found someone who didn't start with the Greeks
>>
File: Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>8215095
>He doesn't know
>>
>>8214998
I want him to be destroying his first grade teacher with dialectics so hot she can't hold onto them. I have a year to make him into a better rhetorician than the average grade school teacher. I'm just writing off Kindergarten at this point, the kid's a fucking failure. And I don't have time to hold his goddamn hand through Aesop, he should be reading that during independent study time if he's so interested. I had a 12th grade reading level in 4th grade so he can't use his fucking genes as an excuse.

I'm pretty confident I can do it but the kid needs to get his head in the game.
>>
What's the appropriate age to start performing acts of pederasty with your children?
>>
>>8214989
>When is the appropriate age to start introducing your children to the Greeks?

Well, you'll get you're best value out of them when they are about 5 or 6.
>>
>>8214989
>this fuckin thread...
>fukkin 4chan
>its like a prison ward.
>>
>>8215408
6-7 children
34-35 adults
>>
>>8214989
Start with Pre-Socratics, then read him Camus and see if he tries to commit suicide by the age of 11
>>
Start him with the Iliad and the Odyssey. Kids usually like this more
>>
>>8215120
IKR
>>
my father used to read greek mythology to me when I was very young, I LOVED it
>>
>>8214989
There is a novel about this by Helen Dewitt, I think that's the name at least.
>>
File: alexander-the-great_114.jpg (24 KB, 382x450) Image search: [Google]
alexander-the-great_114.jpg
24 KB, 382x450
>>8214989
>Starts reading to his child AFTER the child can speak.
Looks like you fucked up. You should have been playing audio recordings whilst your child slept. My mother played the Art of War on my CD player, on loop, every night when I was an infant. Now I am a tactical genius on par with Alexander, Fredrick, and Julius Caesar. In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a chassep''t rifle from a javelin,
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery:
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy,
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.
>>
>>8215392
Translation:

I want him to be destroyed by bullies.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.