[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The /lit/ Guide to Aesthetics v0.1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 275x183
Hello, anons.

Here it is the first edition of the /lit/ Guide to Aesthetics. Made this to help anons interested in this field of Philosophy (and Art in general) but that don't know a good point to start reading about it. The guide follows:
- 2 introductory encyclopedia articles to get you acquainted with Aesthetics history, issues and terminology.
- A list of anthologies and companions that deals more deeply into everything presented before in the articles
- A list of 4 Art History books, because you don't study Aesthetics without knowing something about Art. For the layman: Gombrich, if you already have some notions of Art: Janson. After reading one of them, move to Arnason and then Hauser.
- A chronological list of the main philosophical works that have dealt with aesthetical questions in the history of humanity. All works previous to 1900 can (and should, in my opinion) be read in this same sequence. It's just in the 20th century that Aesthetics becomes a more complex and diverse field, so you can just pick what interests you most there.

You can see and download the document here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6475ZpbH_cGSWxsZjdtY05ySGM/view?usp=sharing

Please give feedback on what I can change to make the guide better and if you liked it or not. If people are interested I can share the original .doc so that you can make your own contributions. Cheers!
>>
File: 1442710441048.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1442710441048.gif
2 MB, 480x360
Guide to Aesthetics
Step 1: Lift
>>
thanks op :)
>>
File: 1466933511391.jpg (900 KB, 2058x2990) Image search: [Google]
1466933511391.jpg
900 KB, 2058x2990
>>8214384
Someone should do what /x/ did and compile a huge folder of PDFs/Epubs on mega.nz
>>
>>8214399
We should, but it must comprise of a compilation of different and opposing disciplines under the arts and humanities. That will take an awful lot of dedication.
>>
>>8214399
We need a new wiki, to be honest.
>>
>>8214384

I will definitely check out your guide, thanks!

>For the layman: Gombrich, if you already have some notions of Art: Janson

I want to educate myself on art history. I don't really know anything about art or art history although I enjoy looking at art and have certain painters I like. Can you clarify the experience level recommended for Janson? I managed to get through high school & college without every taking any kind of art history course (unfortunately). I am 25 and read literature, literary theory & philosophy on a regular basis, so I'm not concerned with a text being "difficult" or "dry", so long as it doesn't assume too much prior knowledge. Should I read Gombrich or Janson?
>>
>>8214424
Gombrich's book takes a more didactic approach, as the title says: "Story", you can read as if it was a novel, it has a linear narrative. Janson is like a normal textbook, you can pick whatever chapter you want and start reading it without losing much of the context. Both are excellent, but Janson has way more pages and this textbook style, up to you to choose.
>>
>>8214477

Thanks!
>>
Bump because I'll sleep.
>>
I'm trying to find Janson's book but bookz doesn't have it (there are two that show up, but both are held by a bot that seems to be broken, while other bots work fine). Anyone know where to find it?
>>
>>8214384
neat

21st century could include ppl like Moten and Spivak if u wanted to put some names to it
>>
>>8215114
Just buy the book, art books are often worth every penny.
>>
>aesthetics
>posts Klimt
stopped reading
>>
>>8215114

kickass torrents
>>
File: lit.png (2 MB, 1248x912) Image search: [Google]
lit.png
2 MB, 1248x912
>>8214384
Thank you OP, I'll check it out
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.