[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unlettered fool
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: twilightzone-to-serve-man.jpg (25 KB, 500x516) Image search: [Google]
twilightzone-to-serve-man.jpg
25 KB, 500x516
Hi /lit/,

I thought maybe some smarter people can help me with one sentence. I'm reading this pleb-tier sci-fi novel, and I stumbled upon this passage:

“That’s how we’re going to fight,” she told them. “No more attacks by squadrons in tight formations, no more grouping the squadrons to increase their punch. Now we split up into two and three ship groups. No matter how good the enemy is, they can’t keep track of all of us all the time. From now on we harass, disorient and badger the enemy until we see a solid opening, then we rip their guts out.”
“But how do we close in?” Rudd asked.
“Jammers and decoys, plus coming at them from 360 degrees, will get us inside their command and response time,” Emily countered, hoping it was true. “Then we use the lasers until we’ve got a clean shot at something good and pound them with the missiles.”

What does the sentence "will get us inside their command and response time" mean? From the context I guess it means "will get us close enough", but I don't understand what "command" has to do with it. Could you please you explain/paraphrase it?
>>
>>8214223
Emily means that they won't give the enemy enough to time to issue commands to its fighters and for the fighters to respond.
>>
So "get inside someone's response time" means do something before they can respond? is it a set phrase?
>>
As anon said. It's "command time" and "response time", with "inside" meaning "under". People who are used to expressing this sort of idea would probably use "within" or "under" instead.
I guess you're trying to practice reading English or something but this sounds like a horribly shitty book
>>
That's exactly what I'm doing. It's Alarm of War by H. Kennedy Hudner. Thanks a lot!
>>
>>8214257
>"command time" and "response time"
(meant "command-and-response time", as opposed to "command" and "response time" being separate elements, but you got that)
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.