[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Nietzsche a Christian?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: wq.jpg (14 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
wq.jpg
14 KB, 195x258
Wagner says that he confessed to him about weeping to a monk. Wagner was a Romanticist, and Nietzsche was a classical philhellene, so it's possible he was trying to slander him for artistic purposes. But at the same time, Christianity is a reoccurring subject in Nietzsche's work, and we're all probably familiar with the infamous chapter in "Antichrist".

One account of this is mentioned in one of Nietzsche's biographies. If I recall correctly, so the story goes, there was a kindly Orthodox monk (I believe perhaps an archimandrite , or somewhere in that eminence range) who was being severely persecuted by the Lutheran Church or state, and he wrote an article on his behalf that led to the monk being exonerated by her. Some time afterward, he saw him in the street and prayed with him, and well, you can guess the rest. Later, he calls on Wagner, who I believe was a bitter enemy of his at the time, to come to his house and he confesses all this to him. Wagner was disgusted, and when Nietzsche saw the look on his face, he said something like "you cannot possibly love me as much as I love you!" From what I remember, the biographer seemed to believe this confession took place but thought Nietzsche was lying about it because of some weird pious complex he has, which seems like a stretch to me. I don't know whether or not he actually confessed this to Wagner, but if he did, I'm inclined to believe he was telling the truth. I mean, who the fuck lies about weeping to a monk?

Another thing... I recognize this has a lot less credibility, but probably like 6 or 7 years ago, I read a post on reddit from some guy claiming to be in contact with people from Kierkegaard''s estate and supposedly they had letters or diaries backing up the claim that he had confessed his sins. According to him, Nietzsche had some weird belief that being absolved by a priest "cleansed" him in some way. I assumed this guy was lying, but the only reason I didn't totally write him off is because when I messaged him for more info, he sent me a link to a translated version of some Danish website where Lou Andreas-Salomé (1st ever female Russian psychoanalyst, who supposedly rejected a marriage proposal by Nietzsche) claims he talked about doing this during a walk. This sounds like a very slavish thing to do, but at the time, confession wasn't viewed the same as it is today, and in particular, the confession to someone from a higher power wouldn't have been viewed as backward (see the depiction of the confession of the the Apostle Paul, Jew, a former Pharisee, in "The Dawn"), so a bunch of philosophers/philologists talking about during a midday walk wouldn't have been that unusual given their value system.

What do you guys think? Have you heard anything about this?
>>
If any of your hearsay anecdotal evidence and hazy memories are true ("I remember reading something on Reddit 6 to 7 years ago", come on) then he's Christian in a false U.S Army "no atheists in foxholes" way and doesn't have an effect on his work.
>>
>>8213586
is this going to be a a new copypasta? i might start on a joyce and dfw version tbqh
>>
>>8213586
Why would any of this impugn Nietzsche's credentials in any way? He must have been pretty close to Christianity in order to attack it as radically and thoroughly as he did, anyway.
>>
>>8213586
Well played anon, I didn't realize until I got to "you cannot possibly love me as much as I love you!"
>>
>>8213747
Yeah, that makes sense.
>>
http://www.booksandculture.com/articles/2003/novdec/8.24.html
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.