[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plot Twists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 56413743.jpg (121 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
56413743.jpg
121 KB, 500x380
Does /lit/ still fall for plot twists? After being immersed in the culture of today spotting plot twists have become pretty second nature to me, and it has ruined the reading of a shit ton of books because of it.

1984 - Could barely finish it because the plot twist was so obvious and predictable. (It's not the books fault, it was of course published at a time before we hit the "plot twist around every corner mark")

Not only that, having predictable plot twists has just made authors do "extreme" plot twists, I.E. Game of Thrones...

What do you think? Has culture (or I guess reading in general) made you tired of plot twists or do you still find yourself surprised sometimes?

Would say, "Hey recommend your favorite books with a plot twist", but that would defeat the purpose of the book having a plot twist.
>>
Well, I have fallen for one twist recently, but it wasn't just a plot twist, it was also a philosophical realization, total mood change etc.
>>
>image macro
>1984
>Game of Plebs
>a thread about something as banal as "plot twists"
>>>/v/
>>
>>8212605
wtf is the plot twist in 1984
>>
>>8212638
That it's a shit, overrated book, with bad prose but you must read it anyway (and pretend to be astonished by it) to appear cultured
>>
>>8212638
the whole "THE GOVERNMENT WAS LISTENING THE WHOLE TIME" bullshit

culturally, it has contributed a lot, I.E. "Big Brother is watching you" but its just hard to get through cause of the shitty twist
>>
>>8212677
End yourself. Or highschool.
>>
>>8212638
it was all just a dream
>>
>>8212685

noice I think ill do both
>>
>>8212638
In the end he realizes it's actually 1948
>>
File: square-large-rb84.gif (5 KB, 275x260) Image search: [Google]
square-large-rb84.gif
5 KB, 275x260
>>8212638
he votes reagan/bush
>>
>>8212605
Plot twists are fucking shit, the best stories are the ones that have been done to death. MacBeth, Kullervo, Oedipus type tragedies or monomyth feel-good tales.

I hate grrm for ruining incest. It's supposed to be tragic and suicide inducing not sexy clickbait.
>>
>>8212605
It easy to see the plot twist because it easy to determine which of the writer's morals they wish to contrast for us and so the mystery has become simple distraction, an excuse to moralise further.
>>
>>8212638
they teased it, and did the right thing by keeping it out.
>>
File: At last I truly See.gif (1 MB, 358x202) Image search: [Google]
At last I truly See.gif
1 MB, 358x202
>>8212605
>Does /lit/ still fall for plot twists?
Got Blindsided with a plot twist. throughout the book I was led to believe it was a simple novel with black and white morality and how the freedom fighters get a free pass on any atrocities they committed, until the pendulum chapter showed that they didn't.
>>
>>8212605
Plot twist in 1984? I would hardly call it a plot twist
>>
>>8213361
Same guy, just remembered the plot twist don't worry
>>
File: 1466845134209.gif (950 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1466845134209.gif
950 KB, 640x360
>>8212759
>It's supposed to be tragic and suicide inducing not sexy clickbait.
>>
>>8212605
A well executed plot twist can be amazing.

Something that completely changes the meaning, the characters and maybe even the themes of everything that came before.

I specially like it when it's only the reader the one being tricked.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.