[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I read books faster and not constantly get distracted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1452198094765.jpg (120 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1452198094765.jpg
120 KB, 800x600
How do I read books faster and not constantly get distracted while reading?
>>
>>8212085
Take your ritalin/aderall/crystal (depending on your age and economic background)
>>
>>8212085

You definitely build up stamina to reading the more you do it-- like anything else. If all you can do is read 10 pages at a time, then read 10 pages at a time consistently and soon you'll be able to read 20 etc.

It also helps to read material that is appropriate for you (not too advanced). If you're new to reading a lot of literature might come across as boring and hard to read. Search around for books you really enjoy. The starter kit on /lit/ is solid-- these are fairly easy reads which most people readily enjoy.

Also, a non-reader can definitely become a reader. I never read when I was a kid and made an effort to develop the habit when I was in my early 20s and had lots of success.
>>
>>8212098
I don't got the ADHD, who can I hit up for some Ritalin?
>>
>>8212085

Like anything else. Practice and exercise. See how much you can read without getting distracted then slowly start incrementing the quantity from this starting, day by day, session by session (like weightlifting). Read everyday and impose discipline in your reading (no cellphone/no music/be in a quiet place).
>>
>>8212126
it won't help then, you'll just start wasting time at a faster pace
plus sleep lose messes with memory

put cell phone and laptop in another room, don't read in bed if you get sleepy
set a timer in 30 minute increments and don't move until it goes off
give up on a book if you truly can't get into it after a few days of trying and move on to something else
>>
>>8212085
Try using one eye at the time, resting the other one while you focus on the page. It would likely improve rythm and endurance and also reduce the chance of distraction with the peripheral vision.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (4 MB, 426x318) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
4 MB, 426x318
>>8212085
Whenever I'm committing to a serious reading session (4< hours) I'll typically find a coffee shop or some place conducive to such an activity. I'll drink coffee and read in periods of ten to forty minutes before getting up to stretch me legs, use the restroom, or refill my water and coffee. It helps to be in a public atmosphere because the extra stimulation helps me concentrate and I notice I tend to fall into a specific routine of disorganization when I'm at home.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.