[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could someone please explain to me what my English teacher means
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1339387200882.jpg (97 KB, 694x448) Image search: [Google]
1339387200882.jpg
97 KB, 694x448
Could someone please explain to me what my English teacher means by this:

"The writer must establish a clearly defined set of standards/criteria/expectations to measure the quality or effectiveness of that topic."

This one point is preventing me from finishing an otherwise simple assignment. To clarify, my topic is anti-consumerism.

I know this is 4chan and we're all a bunch of assholes, but I'm desperate. No one has been able to help me. My paper is due in two hours.

>inb4 underage
I'm in college

>You procrastinated. It's your own fault.
I know that. Still, I would greatly appreciate your help.

I apologize if I am on the wrong board. I wasn't sure where else to go.
>>
the sentence makes no sense. the effectivenes of the topic to do what?
>>
>>8211716
That's what I'm saying. I'm glad I'm not alone. I thought I was going crazy.
I don't understand what she wants me to do.
>>
>>8211706
Basically what it's saying is that the writer needs to establish a set of norms for the poem -- that is, a baseline -- that can then be used as commentary on a particular topic by looking at how the representation of the topic conforms to or differs from that established norm.
>>
>>8211706
She's saying she doesn't like the topic and that you better back your shit up.
>>
>>8211706
>The writer must establish a clearly defined set of standards/criteria/expectations to measure the quality or effectiveness of [consumerism]
It doesn't feel like a well written statement, it seems like something is mussing.
Anyhow I think what your teacher is attempting to say is that if a writer tackles a subject (consumerism) the writer must provide the reader with "a clearly defined set of standards/criteria/expectations to measure the quality or effectiveness of that subject (consumerism) for the reader so that they fully understand that subject objectively and can therefore follow along with what the writer has to say about that subject, subjectively.

You can't throw out an opinion about something unless we are all on the same page concerning what that something is in the first place.
>>
>>8211725
I think I agree with this. My first reaction was that the shit she gave you sucks monkey dick. Good teachers make their expectations clear (which this isn't).
>>
>>8211725
That makes sense. I didn't expect to have to infer so much from an English professor's instructions. Thanks, m8.
>>8211742
Simply defining still leaves something to be desired, doesn't it?
>>
operational definitions m8

For example, pretend your paper is "Dostoyevsky Writes About Muh Suffering." The first thing you do in your paper is tell the reader exactly what writing about suffering means, and then spend the rest of the paper using examples from Crime & Punishment that show him writing about suffering.
>>
>>8211706
I would say just go fucking ask her, but...
>My paper is due in two hours.
You did this to yourself
>>
>>8211706
>My paper is due in two hours
Bitch please. You've got at least an hour and a half before you have to start writing your paper.
>>
>>8211718
>>8211716
dumbasses

It's just plumped up poorly done academic jargon for the following: in order to measure something you need a measuring stick. She's asking you to define your measuring stick and how it relates to the topic at hand.

so if it's consumerism, you can judge consumerist societies (I assume you're focusing on contemporary western consumerism) on metrics of human happiness, gross national product / wealth as a proxy for success, contrast with communism or anarchism. ez pz
>>
>>8211706
you probably have a lib teacher, just talk about oppression and women's rights and suck a little muslim cock, and you'll be fine. it should be even easier with a topic like "anti-consumerism" which is interesting in and of itself, did your teacher supply you with this topic? sounds like liberal indoctrination to a T.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.