[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm halfway through Moby-Dick and holy shit is it good >A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: the_third_day.jpg (179 KB, 900x649) Image search: [Google]
the_third_day.jpg
179 KB, 900x649
I'm halfway through Moby-Dick and holy shit is it good
>A vast pulpy mass, furlongs in length and breadth, of a glancing cream-colour, lay floating on the water, innumerable long arms radiating from its centre, and curling and twisting like a nest of anacondas, as if blindly to clutch at any hapless object within reach. No perceptible face or front did it have; no conceivable token of either sensation or instinct; but undulated there on the billows, and unearthly, formless, chance-like apparition of life.

This is just par for the course on this book.
How did Melville do it?
>>
>>8211604
Lots of interesting life experiences, natural talent and help from Hawthorne
>>
>>8211604
yeah I'll never be as talented as melville anyways so why bother
>>
By reading lots of Shakespeare and Milton, duh

Moby Dick is definitely top ten
>>
File: ss.jpg (106 KB, 960x1438) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
106 KB, 960x1438
i'm glad they were almost driven to extinction
>>
>>8211640
>le Hawthorn meme xD

>>8212218
>tfw there are whales alive today that were alive when Moby was published
>>
>>8213568
Are you saying Hawthorne didn't influence Melville's writing?
Some say he improved it, some that he wrecked it; but, it's undeniable that he influenced him. Compare Moby-Dick to Typee and see the effect for yourself.
>>
>>8213649
Influenced him intellectually and artistically, sure. I thought you wanted to say he actually had a hand in writing the book itself.
>>
>>8211640
Wasn't there some gay shenanigans between Hawthorne and Melville?
>>
>>8213669
Oh, no that's not what I meant. Just influenced him.
>>
>>8212212
>By reading lots of Shakespeare and Milton, duh

This.

He probably had a natural talent for metaphors and imagery and, by feeding on the nutritious writings of Shakespeare, was able to realize what his natural inclinations might achieve if he fermented it with great effort.

Also, he had the courage to follow his gut and instinct. Today many young writers, by reading writing suggestions, and books like “The Elements of Style”, and sharing their works for other colleagues to critic, would be flooded by “advices” like “Your prose is too purple”, “You need to cut adjectives and simplify your writing”, “you need to learn with the moderns like Hemingway”, “Your writing is too pretentious; make it simple”, and other shitty and topic suggestions.
>>
>>8213702

i honest-to-god take "too pretentious" as a sign i'm on the right track.

90% of people are plebs and therefore think anything that makes them feel less smart must be pretentious

some stuff without style legit is pretentious, but it takes a person with actual taste to judge it so.
>>
>>8213702
My scriptwriting teacher used to bitch that I was "too descriptive, and poetic" she said it was "fluffy".
>>
>>8213781

Same with my 10th grade English teacher.

Let's just agree that the average schoolteacher is an anal-sadistic prig, I think "refine" should be used as opposed to "simplify". The trend of dumbing things down and spoonfeeding is why screenplays in the United States once averaged a 10th grade reading level in the 40s and 50s to a 4th grade reading level today.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.