[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The bible is literature. How much of it is worth reading? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: bible.jpg (130 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
130 KB, 1200x800
The bible is literature. How much of it is worth reading? Is it any good?
>>
Genesis, first half of Exodus, Kings, Judges, both Samuels, Esther, Job, Ecclesiastes

The Gospels, Romans, Acts, Revelation
>>
File: Fedora-Hats-for-Men.jpg (31 KB, 520x324) Image search: [Google]
Fedora-Hats-for-Men.jpg
31 KB, 520x324
>>8211412
>the bible is literature
>>
>>8211416
>no Song of Songs
>>
It a great book. Too bad dumb people don't understand litrature and start to think you should follow a book you clearly can't read. Believers are just dumb. Users are way beter off. They don't believe unnatural statement, yet find wise lesson found in every book. And some of them recognise much older litrature when then read the bible. It is nothing more then a roman attemt to create something as fine as they found in the greek Classics. In other words, the bible is a low effort copy of older books.
>>
>>8211412
this >>8211416 but also Psalms and for Catholics the Book of Tobit
>>
>>8211538
>Believers are just dumb.
LMAO.
1) Thomas Aquinas
2) Immanuel Kant
3) Soren Kierkeggard
4) (((Emmanuel))) Levinas (technically perhaps a Jewish philosopher, but based on Christian values none the less)
5) Martin Buber (technically a Jewish philosopher)
6) Alvin Plantinga
7) CS Lewis
8] Norman Geisler
9) Martin Luther
10) Francis Shaffer
Honorable Mention:
1) NT Wright
2) Alister Macgrath
3) Ravi Zacharias
4) Tim Keller
5) William Lane Craig
>>
>>8211412

All of it is great literature, except for Leviticus, but you should read it anyway because it's important.
>>
>>8211567
kek at William Lane Craig. Also Aquinas was fucking retarded you ever read his shit?
>>
>>8211567
Wittgenstein was a Christian also. And Pynchon. Dante Aligheiri. William Faulkner. And pretty much every notable author has converted to Christianity on their deathbed.
>>
>>8211591
nice bait 3/10
>>
>>8211600
>And pretty much every notable author has converted to Christianity on their deathbed
what?
>>
File: NoahMap.jpg (3 KB, 83x125) Image search: [Google]
NoahMap.jpg
3 KB, 83x125
>>8211412
>>8211416 /this and All of Exodus and Numbers. Pay attention to the people hanging out at THE VOLCANO, Mt Sinai. Also Moses has Joshua do some initial vengeful slaughtering against Moses' wife's people (the Midianites Ch 31). And Joshua (for the rest of the slaughtering).
>>8211430 /this (pretty erotic stuff)
Also:
Proverbs. It's like Ben Franklin writing his wise sayings in Antiquity and
Ezekiel: It's where the naughty parts are.
>>
>>8211600
Someone's been drinking the kool-aid. Most death beds conversions are fabricated. It's all too easy to do. And do you really want to claim a Bastard like Faulkner? I thought his actions would offend your delicate sensibilities.
>>
File: Normal Goy.jpg (16 KB, 252x291) Image search: [Google]
Normal Goy.jpg
16 KB, 252x291
>>8211600
>(((Wittgenstein)))
>>
Any time spent seriously reading/studying the Bible is time well spent, for believers and nonbelievers alike. It is a foundation of western thought.

For readers interested in Bible-as-/lit/, some sections are much better than others. KJV is beautifully written and was heavily read and influential on prose writing (or at least Harold Bloom says the KJV was one of the main influences of Walt Whitman, and I would guess this is true for others).

I can't speak to much since I haven't read a great deal of the Bible, but here's what I've found:

>Song of Songs (also called "Canticle of Canticles") is excellent poetry.

>Isaiah (extremely intense language and imagery, fiery and gripping)

>the Psalms (a wide variety of writing written over hundreds of years, containing extremely ancient references to ancient religion)

>in the first 5 books you will find very little Bible-as-/lit/ except for a few snippets like Exod. 15. The Joseph narrative at the end of Genesis is a fun plot read, very short.
>>
Ecclesiastes is the best
>>
File: This-is-the-King-of-the-Jews.png (265 KB, 627x463) Image search: [Google]
This-is-the-King-of-the-Jews.png
265 KB, 627x463
>>8211615

George Washington also apparently converted to Catholicism on his deathbed.
>>
File: Areyouserious.gif (651 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
Areyouserious.gif
651 KB, 500x422
>>8211567
>Craig
>>
>>8212570
>>8211591
i got the list from someone random website
the point is: pretty much every decent writer, thinker, inventor, musician, etc... were religious or they found it some point later.
>>
>>8211412
The bible is just an inferior shadow of what was to come, namely, the Koran and the hadiths.
>>
>>8212622
l m a o
no
>>
>>8212622
kys my man
>>
>>8211538
Your writing is shit, m8.

>>8211591
Clearly you haven't read Aquinas.
>>
>>8212622
I actually enjoy hadith but it's hardly literature. It's just recorded oral tradition and wisdom speeches. And the Quran is cool but it's a niche text because most of what makes it good lies in how it's written/spoken and not the content, so it's lost when read in English. The bible is way more enjoyable as a piece of literature as a whole.
>>
>>8211412
Speaking as a former Catholic, not much. Some of the new testament is alright, I specifically enjoy Matthew, but the old testament is really boring and fairytale like. Matthew and Luke are where you get good Jesus quotes. I don't believe in God, but still some good quotes.
>>
>>8211412
I don't want to sound like a fedoralord but the bible is shit tier mythology at best. I hate how people wank off about how you need to read the bible to understand modern literature. No, you don't. Even Lovecraft my hero said something similar to that.

How on earth is it great? Explain it.
>>
File: BookOfMormon.jpg (127 KB, 580x887) Image search: [Google]
BookOfMormon.jpg
127 KB, 580x887
>>8211416
This is pretty much it. These are the best of the best
>>8211430
>reading uninspired drivel
nice

>tfw /lit/ will never realize the beauty of pic related
>>
File: 1448992120523.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1448992120523.png
103 KB, 624x434
>>8213244
>I hate how people wank off about how you need to read the bible to understand modern literature. No, you don't. Even Lovecraft my hero said something similar to that.
>Even Lovecraft my hero
lmao
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.