[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Can write good dialogue and have a good understanding of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: k-man.jpg (18 KB, 294x292) Image search: [Google]
k-man.jpg
18 KB, 294x292
>Can write good dialogue and have a good understanding of characterisation, plotting and themes
>Can write detailed plans of novels including extensive character notes and detailed plot outlines
>tfw bad prose

Should I just give up now?
>>
>>8211409
If you're seeking advice from elitists, you already know the answer.
>>
>>8211415
Elitists give better advice than sycophants.

The problem is that /lit/ is made up of elitists who for the most part don't read.
>>
>Can write good dialogue and have a good understanding of characterisation

these are your only strengths, from what you've said

>Can write detailed plans of novels including extensive character notes and detailed plot outlines

anyone can

>tfw bad prose

if your dialogue is actually good and not just not-cringey, you have potential. try minimal prose, like Erlend Loe or something. if it's terribly bad and not just bland, try plays instead.
>>
>>8211439

I wouldn't say it's great but I think I manage to find a good balance between naturalism and stylism whilst preserving individual character voices. I've written a few dialogue heavy short stories but I really struggle with scenes without dialogue to build around. I just can't help but make it either a dull chore or incomprehensible.
>>
>>8211409
if you're so good at dialogue why don't you try writing a play then, faggot
>>
>>8211409
Story and prose are the same. Hard to take anything you say as true when you don't know even this fundamental truth of Literature.
>>
>>8211468

Theatre is a dead medium tbqh
>>
>>8211409
SCREENWRITNG
>>
File: thats bait.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
thats bait.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>8211482
>>
>>8211409
Quit writing plot outlines and just focus on the prose. Force it out of you. It's one of the most tedious parts of writing but you shouldn't try to avoid it.
>>
>>8211843
This or become a playwright.
>>8211482
No, they're the different aspects of the same thing. But you're right in a way.
>>
>>8211874

I don't avoid it, I just can't really do it in an interesting or engaging way.
>>
>>8211829
All art is dead
>>
>tfw I can everything everything except dialogue fairly well
GOOD GOD
All of my characters sound the same but when I try to fix it they become cringey as fuck
What do I do
>>
>>8211409
Post a sample of it. Maybe you're being a drama queen bitchboy.
>>
>>8212248
Listen to how people actually talk the next time you go outside or watch random fucks talking on YouTube.
>>
>>8211409
Look at J. K. Rowling and George R. R. Martin.
Look at J. R. R. Tolkien and H. P. Lovecraft.
Look at Frank Herbert and John Milton
>>
>>8212260
Milton had prose? Or is the joke that he was a poet.
>>
>>8212257

>Posting your writing on /lit/

Nah pham
>>
>>8212248
>I can everything everything
>>
Tl;dr, but Karl Pinkington definitely did not write or say that. An Idiot Abroad tells me he's terrible; and I experience great Schaudenfreude at that thought.
>>
>>8212265
I'm not telling you to post anything you'll actually use. Just quickly write up a paragraph that you think is representative of your overall style if you want feedback.
>>
>>8212265
>being scared someone will rip off your terrible writing

the sign of an amateur
>>
>>8211409
I have a decent prose but I suck at dialogues, I can't make them feel natural at all.

For the most part I avoid them, I imply them, but when I really have to use dialogues I can't make the characters different between themselves in their forms of speech, they speak like they were the same person, they don't feel moved at all for what the other characters tell them because it's like they knew what they were going to say.

Kind of shows how few dialogues I had irl ;_;
>>
>>8212269
He plays a character, dummy
Also, try not being a bitter cunt
>>
if you want to test out your dialogue, try writing plays or screen/teleplays. it's much easier to describe the setting when you're doing so objectively. start with the visuals and then gradually appeal to the other senses where you feel it might count, such as the smell in the air in a war scene, or the sounds a sailor might hear at a local dock. weave it in between the dialogue and, oh shit, look at that, you have prose!
>>
File: questionmarkgirl.png (362 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
questionmarkgirl.png
362 KB, 700x700
sorry, I'm new to /lit/ and literature in general

what's ""prose""
>>
>>8212571
in fiction it's just the written story all put together on paper. OP's problem is that he has a story in his head but he can't write it very well
>>
>>8212571
Prose generally refers to how good the writing sounds and reads
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.